October 18, 2010

Social Networking Isn't All That Social Sometimes

I use Facebook obsessively.

Don't judge. I don't post my status a zillion times a day.

I play games. 

Bejeweled Blitz is my crack; Mindjolt Games are my crystal meth.

It's a sickness.

I may need an intervention.

Before I get my game fix, I check out my Home page, and see all the updates...then I make my determination if I'm the worst person on Earth, or the most well-adjusted user Facebook has had the pleasure of sucking free time from.

I kicked my Farmtown/Farmville/Cafe World habits.

And I rarely don't misbehave on Facebook.

So, for me, Facebook is like Pogo, but with voyeurism thrown in.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines social as marked by or passed in pleasant companionship with one's friends or associates.

Using that definition, stuff posted on Facebook is not very social at all.

Facebook has become the place to air one's dirty laundry. Want to read about family feuds (and I don't mean the game here)?

People vent their familiar conflicts on FB...that bothers me.


Sure, I'll read it voraciously if it's in front of me. I wish they'd stop, since I can't stop reading.

I've blocked one person's comments from showing up on my page - everything written is either hateful toward a certain relative - looking for sympathy from others, or to hurt said relative, or the posts are boastful.


A "look at me" festival in the making.


Facebook is great for narcissists.

Just for fun, I try to guess which one of your friends has the greatest number of profile pictures.


Then we have the people who are looking for love in all the wrong places - and have a compulsion to tell about each and every encounter.


They really should think about WHO is reading this. Like if they EVER were successful in a relationship, maybe they'd want the object of their affection to be their FB friend.


Come on, fess up - who doesn't check out 'Previous posts' when you get a new friend?


Oh, I'm the only one?


Damn, I'm nosy.


Family members should actually try TALKING TO EACH OTHER, instead of posting on each other's Facebook page...especially when they're in the same room. How's that for social?


Reading family arguments via Facebook is like watching a tennis match. Sit back and wait for the next serve, see how long they can keep that ball in the air.


Only in tennis, you don't have folks running onto the court with THEIR rackets to help out the athlete they are supporting, or trip the opponent.


And parents? Monitor what your kids write on Facebook. Check out their privacy settings - I've seen some pretty racy pictures from 11-year olds, and read some pretty colorful (and hateful) language when teens start harassing other teens.


Actually, everyone should check their privacy settings. Prospective employers Google candidates to see what they've been up to. Seeing thirty-six photos of you drinking to excess will probably not make a good impression.

Reading your inflammatory statements about your previous employer probably should be left to instant messaging - somewhere where you are sure it won't be broadcast across the Interwebs.


All you high schoolers hoping to snag a college acceptance letter? Clean up your Facebook pages. Delete all those posts about your underage drinking, cheating on tests - and delete all the photos that you wouldn't want your parents to see.


Did you know that judgmental people are watching YOU on Facebook?


Ever read my blurb under my profile picture?


"I'm only here for the games."


Indeed.



8 comments:

  1. I see your "namessake," Barbara B. passed away last week :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Nick, I posted about that yesterday: http://ratiooffailures.blogspot.com/2010/10/real-june-cleaver-1915-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I am addicted to Bejeweled Blitz too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about FB. It's just a little too silly. I've hidden more people that I read because of their rants and raves. I guess mostly I just don't care what people are doing at any one moment in the 24 hour period. The hype over facebook is a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess i am a little too "inward" of a person for Facebook.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get some different friends on Facebook ... mine are all kind of boring!!! (I've had to block my sister-in-law's obnoxious Farmville updates though ... that drives me nuts!! I hope she gets cured soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, and seriously HOOKED on FB. When I turn my phone on in the mornings, it gives me a little thrill to hear the status updates fire off like a slot machine. HAHAHAHA!! It's sad. I'm well aware.

    I'm also a huge fan of hiding "friends". Sometimes it's best for everyone involved to only view a person's profile on occasion, rather than suffer through another disasterous episode of diarrhea of the mouth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!