November 12, 2010

Ignore the Whales for a Minute, OK? - Save the Words Instead!

Wordle: Save the Words
Courtesy of wordle.net
I love, love love words!

Big words.

Little words.

Words let me express my innermost feelings, and discuss current events.

Saying the wrong thing can get me into trouble, while saying just the right thing can get me out of the trouble I'm in.

The Mister insists I have 50,000 of these lovely suckers that must escape from my lips each day...and I save some of the best of them for HIM.

Poor Mister.

Powerful thing, the English language.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has been recording words and their definitions since its start in 1857 (when the Philological Society of London decided that existing dictionaries were incomplete and deficient

Take that, Noah Webster.

Anyway, about my philology (love of words). When you love words as much as I do, you want everyone to have this same experience.

In that effort, I've found a cool web site, created by the ad agency for the OED.

Save the Words has given you the ability to adopt a word that has been removed from their dictionary, due to its obsolescence in the English language.

Begin digression.
 
Some of the outcasts on the site that I was actually familiar with?


Long play, referring to 33 1/3 RPM record albums. My favorite long playing album from childhood? Mary Poppins!

Ten cent store, as in Murphy's 5 & 10, where I got to spend an actual DOLLAR every time I went shopping with my grandparents. Back then, a dollar in spending money was a big deal.


And I always followed my grandfather's advice: "Don't spend it all in one place."

Here's a picture of the actual Murphy's cafe in the local mall in my hometown, circa 1960s:


Image source
End of digression.

For the small price of FREE, you can adopt a word.

You know you want to. Who wouldn't want a great vintage word in their vocabulary?

Your oath of adoption states "I hereby promise to use this word, in conversation and correspondence as frequently as possible, to the best of my ability."

Without further ado, I introduce you to MY adopted word:

desarcinate v 1656 –1736 to unload; to unburden

Isn't that what I do most days on my blog? Desarcinate myself upon you, the readers?

I hope that my over-sharing isn't too much for you. 
Get yourself a word of your own before they're all gone!

Let's expand our vocabularies, and amaze loved ones with our new-found verbal treasures!


Now I gotta go desarcinate the dishwasher.
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness ... I am in love with that site!!! I just spent a good 10 minutes poking around while the little words called out to me " choose me" "hello." It is such a cool looking site. I'm not the official adoptive mother of "jobler" -- a person who does small jobs. I hope you can be a jobler soon.

    I'm going to have to write about this ... people need to save these cute little words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post! And I love the old 5 & Dime stores, too! When we went to visit my grandparent when I was little, we went to Piper's 5 & Dime, and yes, one dollar was a LOT OF MONEY!! Ahh, the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gawsh... that website is an awesome tribute to the English language. I love it! I am going to go adopt my own word. As soon as I am done desarcinating my own dishwasher, that is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!