November 29, 2010

Shootout Showdown at the Not Quite OK Corral High School

This afternoon, we will be attending another IEP meeting at school. To add to the adversarial atmosphere, I will have our Mental Health Service Coordinator and our Special Education Parent Mentor with me on one side of the table.

Since The Boy's last outburst at school (where the police were called), he has had near perfect behavior. He says he "has no choice but to be good", because he fears being arrested (the police woman told him if she had to come back, she would arrest him).


He continues to practice selective mutism during the school day. That part is pretty easy - his teacher's idea of TEACHING is to tell The Boy what assignment to do, and that's it. No actual instruction takes place, nobody checks The Boy's work.

Isn't that special?


Is it any big surprise that he doesn't do well on quarterly exams that count the most for the letter grades he receives?

The Mister and I have toured an alternative school where The Boy may be successful (but it is a more restrictive environment). If the folks at school want him to go to this private school, they will have to foot the bill and provide transportation.

It would mean a 45-minute bus ride in each direction (if traffic cooperates).

I have conflicting emotions about this change. If I could have my heart's desire, his current school would follow his IEP and give him the supports he needs to be successful. But since they have made few attempts to ensure his success (and have, in some instances, caused him to regress), then maybe it is better to go to this new school.

It is a shame that he couldn't continue the progress he made at the district last year, but so many things have changed, and none of them for the good. Their constant inability to follow Federal and state special education laws puts them at risk with the state for lack of compliance.

I know I haven't made any friends at the district by ratting them out to the state Department of Education - I feel that their prior suggestion of the new school is the best way to be rid of The Boy, and of a parent who won't let the teacher focus on important things, like baseball, and talking and texting on his cell phone during class.

Then the Assistant Superintendent won't have to say "I don't care what happens to him, I hope he does get arrested" about The Boy again.

As always, I refer you back to the school district's motto: "EXCELLENCE EXPECTED, NO EXCUSES".

I wonder what excuses they'll come up with today.



5 comments:

  1. Wow. Good for you for being his advocate even though it makes you unpopular with the school. Good luck in your meeting and I hope something is worked out so that he gets the education and the accommodations he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been where you are, except I had no options for other schools for my son. Even had a principal like you who swore my son wasn't smart enough to read let alone graduate. So I enrolled him in GED classes as soon as they allowed me to. After 3 classes of about 3 hours each, where they allowed him to work on pretty much what he wanted, he took the test and PASSED.. Umm yeah don't think we didn't go share the good news with the principal who was forced to smile and admit he was a pompous ass..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that Assistant really takes that ASS part seriously doesnt he? Geez.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would be so mad! He deserves to get his education & they should follow the guidelines that allow him to do that. I feel for you, I really do. You have way more will power than me.. I would have been up in someone's face more than likely & then I'd have to worry about ME being arrested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My God ... the assistant superintendent actually said that!!! I can't imagine you could get a good education from that school if you tried. As I've said before, The Boy is amazingly lucky to have an advocate for you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!