December 02, 2010

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - 12/2/10 - Airport Disappointment

It's time for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop!

The prompt I chose could not be more timely...nor my response less controversial.

CONTROVERSY! Are the new security measures performed by the TSA really that bad? Take a stance!

Just yesterday, The Boy and I flew from St. Louis to Phoenix. In the days leading up to the flight, The Boy and I discussed the naked body scan and the pat down - we both wanted to do the body scan.

I figure I am not responsible for the retinal burns suffered by the TSA agents when they view ME in all my glory.

Sure, it's a bit intrusive.

But having the NTSB (National Traffic Safety Board) have to catalogue my remains in the event of a terrorist attack on my plane would really put a crimp in my holiday plans.

I'd rather do the xray than have some strange woman fondle my girl bits, looking for concealed weapons or explosives.

Ok, back to today. We arrived at the airport a couple of hours or so before our flight. I was imagining long lines in security, and passengers arguing with TSA agents.

What a disappointment.

No naked scanner.

No pat down.

Just the normal 'take off your shoes, show me your liquids' kind of thing.

The only funny thing that happened? The Boy is so looking forward to being away from school for a few days. Who do we see near our gate? The Special Ed guy...and he's looking for US.

He was on his way to Nashville for some R&R - I guess he and The Boy had both had their fill of school!

It's 10pm in Phoenix, and the temperature is a pleasant 65 degrees. In St. Louis when we left, the wind chill was 22.

Bring on the weather!

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are getting away for awhile. Hope the boy enjoys it as much as you!

    I'm glad that St. Louis isn't always the follower that others are. I flew back in October, shortly before all this stuff started happening. It was quick and uneventful going through security.

    Enjoy that sunshine, and try to stop for an In-N-Out Burger, if possible. Then, I can enjoy it vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your warm weather trip! Maybe you'll get to experience the naked scanner next time! ;) I'm totally with you. Much rather be scanned head to toe than be blown out of the sky by some psychopath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to Chicago on Saturday and they are saying SNOW! I never see snow in Texas! This is great.

    The scanner is random. I haven't been picked for additional checks in a long, long time. You still got zapped by the metal detector though, right? That was fun... lol..
    Enjoy the SUN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you didn't get naked or patted down! Glad you arrived safely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great time of the year to enjoy Phoenix. And only someone coming from a much colder part of the country like St. Louis (or northern Indiana) can really appreciate the difference, right? Hope you have a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arent you glad you are in my neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I did four TSA patdowns during my most recent Thanksgiving trip, including going out at DCA and connecting at O'Hare. No intrusiveness on this bod. But it also may be because of the condition of the bod?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you with that warm weather! I'm freezing! Hope y'all are having a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!