December 17, 2010

When One Door Closes, Another Door is Opened

Today is The Boy's last day at his school. We were supposed to have yet another IEP meeting this morning, but his impending transfer to his new school made that meeting unnecessary.

I was reminded of the ending stanza of T. S. Eliot's poem, The Hollow Men:

This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.


Just substitute 'school career' for 'world', and there you have it.

The Special Ed director called this morning, and, from the tone of his voice, I almost felt like he wanted me to change my mind - that I should keep The Boy in the school.

He urged me to consider not letting The Boy go to the new school until mid-January, when the semester is over here (the new school wants him to start Jan. 5).

He wanted to verify that my decision was final, and even suggested that I talk to The Boy about it first.

Maybe he doesn't want to admit defeat.

Maybe it's the financial hit the school budget will take from paying for his tuition and transportation.

Maybe it's the fact that with The Boy's leaving, and the early graduation of one of The Boy's classmates, the baseball coach/(not exactly a) teacher won't have anyone to pretend to teach for most of the day.

He can have more time to work out baseball team strategy, and to text and/or talk on his cell phone.

And The Boy? After this "Winter" break ("Winter" cuz we can't say Christmas at school), he will be in a program run by experienced teachers, and learning with other kids who share his Asperger's diagnosis (and associated quirkiness)...maybe he'll finally feel like people "get" him.


8 comments:

  1. So excited for you both hun.. I think this will be a HUGE life saving thing for him. And I hope it teaches the other school a lesson in being prepared for all types of children with trained educated staff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see how he does at the new school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good news! Best of luck to him as he starts his new school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope all goes the way that you both want it to go.. and Merry Christmas... not merry Winter,, sheesh,, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Screw that stupid school ... I think the new school is going to be what the Boy needs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you have found a school where your son will get what he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know whats best for your son. You know his needs and what will make him the best that he can be. This new school sounds like it will take a world of worry off your shoulders. Enjoy your "Christmas" break!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so cant wait to hear about his experiences at the new school!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!