January 29, 2011

Saturday Centus - 01/29/11 Attic Revelations


It's Saturday, so it must be time for Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus. As usual, Jenny provides a prompt (found below, in bold), and you have just 100 words (max) with which to craft a story or poem.
Oh, keep it PG-rated - the kids are nearby, okay?

Too Late for Poor Bruno
Suzanne was eager to get settled into the old Victorian she bought in her hometown of Hopewell. Waiting for the moving truck to arrive, she roamed through the empty rooms, mentally arranging furniture.

She opened the attic door, and was hit with the smell of trapped, stale air and old dust. She noticed a box left by the previous owners.

Curious, she lifted the stack of letters from the ancient chest. She felt an unsettling sense of déjà vu as she read the first crudely spelled letter.

She may have just found the true identity of the Lindbergh baby kidnapper.

My inspiration for today came courtesy of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindbergh_kidnapping

23 comments:

  1. That was really great! I didn't expect that twist at the end. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good. Wouldn't that be something to find out the true identity hidden so well over time. Skeletons in a closet. Wild!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!! The is just great! What a unique take on the prompt! Well done and brava.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great twist on the prompt! Not what I was expecting at all, well done! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool! That mystery has always fascinated me.

    Great Centus, June.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting that you went from a different angle although keeping it in the attic. After reading all these stories from the prompt, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do the prompt much justice due to the fact that my mind would try to solve all the mysteries that were started already - lol - thanks for sharing - E :)

    ----------------
    Elysabeth Eldering
    Author of the Junior Geography Detective Squad, 50-state, mystery, trivia series

    Where will the adventure take you next?

    http://jgdsseries.blogspot.com
    http://jgdsseries.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great little what if here....suspenseful lead for us....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last line really packs a punch. This is great, June. I really like the phrase "trapped stale air" and the build up to the final line.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg. I loved the ending. I got goosebumps. And another omg, I used the same freaking name in my story. du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, the kidnapper of the Lindbergh baby. Wouldn't that be wonderful after all these years. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do you come up with this stuff!!!!!????? Your mind is a very interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great twist at the end, wasn't expecting that at all. Nice job!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm shivering, and it's not from the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your writing! Nice job. Any thoughts on Hoffa?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally cool twist at the end. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes!!! great twist ... loved your take on the prompt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no, oh no please do share who did it?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great twist at the end.
    Donna V.
    http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done! This piece is very visual and sensory, and I love the Lindbergh twist!

    Thanks..........cj

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love to mix fiction with history! But it's tricky.
    Well done.
    Best wishes,
    Anna
    'Infrequent visitor' SC week 39

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very original. I'd have found this difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant!

    What a clever twist you shared here.

    I love the idea of this...I would actually love to read the 'rest of the story'!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow...loved that ending too...good job !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!