February 25, 2011

NetGalley Book Review - Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom



I signed up for NetGalley a few months ago, but never made the effort of selecting a galley to read, and possibly, review. 


From NetGalley's site:


You are under no obligation to finish reading a title or write a review. If you do choose to write a review, you can use NetGalley to send the review with the publisher. Your review is shared with the publisher as a courtesy — but the content and publishing rights for that review belong solely to you. NetGalley does not post or publish your review — instead, we are providing an “electronic tear-sheet.” Most publishers will appreciate if you also include a link or other information with the review that says where the review will be published. You can also use NetGalley to let the publisher know that you are declining to review.

Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom
by Dayna Macy
Published by Hay House
Publication date (March 2011)

I was intrigued by the title of the book, so I downloaded the galley, and read the entire thing in a few hours.

I was totally taken in by the book. I have my own issues with food and overeating and obesity.

The day before I read Ravenous, I was giving serious thought to changing how I choose the food I do eat.

Ravenous is a brutally honest memoir about Dayna Macy's lifelong struggle with food obsessions, and how she took a year's journey to come to terms with her relationship with food.

Ms. Macy, a writer, and communications director for Yoga Journal magazine, watches the number on the scale gradually creep up. At age 48, her knees ache, and her ankles hurt. She feels fat and invisible, and wants to get some control over her intake of food.

Ms. Macy truly wants to understand why she craves sausage, olives, cheese and chocolate - since childhood, these have been her 'go-to' foods when she's lonely, stressed or upset. She knows that she's stuffing down feelings as she stuffs her face. She figures that if she knows HOW her food is made, she'll get an idea about WHY she craves food that is bad for her.

 She visits a butcher, an olive oil producer, an artisanal cheese producer, and a chocolatier - and learns about the inner makings of the foods she desires most. But this is just the beginning of her journey. Through her years of yoga practice, she consults various teachers to help her get in control of her body, and learn how to value its strengths, instead of focusing on her weaknesses.

At a seminar with a meditation teacher and chef, she learns that to have pleasure in something, you must be connected to it. We have no real connection when we eat processed food, because we are so far removed from its natural form.

She then learns about organic, sustainable farming, and how the soil, rain, and sun are all interconnected with the food that we produce and eat...and that eating food that we have a connection to can satisfy our hunger (whether physical or emotional) without overeating.

Food is not love; food is food. Love is our connection to people, though many of us substitute food for human comfort and connection.


Though I won't be embarking on a journey like Ms. Macy's, I think that this book could be my first step in my journey to improve my eating habits.

 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are taking advantage of NetGalley! I think it is a wonderful tool and opportunity for bloggers.

    This sounds like an interesting book, but I'm not sure it would help me. Best of luck in your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!