March 16, 2011

Grace Under Pressure

As I've been watching the horrific events taking place in Japan this week, I am in awe of the citizens in the nation.

There is no looting. There is no panic in the streets. Citizens wait in extremely long, orderly lines to enter grocery stores that have just opened. They wait patiently for gasoline and kerosene at stations.

At emergency shelters, families sit quietly, there is no shouting.

Seeing their shoes lined up at the edge of their blankets makes me cry.

The Japanese are a proud, yet dignified, people. They aren't overly emotional, they remain stoic even in this time of unimaginable fear about the possible consequences of the meltdown of nuclear reactors.

Food, water, fuel are all in short supply, family members are missing, or are feared dead, but there is no national sense of outrage.

Yet there is hope. Japan WILL overcome this crisis, they will rebuild.


And they won't gloat over their future successes.

The Mister and I are researching charities to donate to; we will give an equal amount to a charity in the US, because we must also take care of those closest to us.

We are looking at Charity Navigator and the American Institute of Philanthropy sites to find charities who have low administrative costs, to ensure that most of our donation goes directly to those in need, instead of for advertising or organizer's salaries.



7 comments:

  1. The Ronald and I just talked about this yesterday, too! Unbelievable! We used your same words: no looting, patiently waiting in lines, etc. What wonderful, dignified people. My heart goes out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Japanese are an admirable people. I am sure they will continue to handle this with grace. And I want to make a donation too. Thanks for the tip on how to research charities. I don't want give if it really won't make a difference or be misused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Japanese are indeed graceful people. It is all so sad. I can not even comprehend the tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I hadn't even considered the things you mentioned--no looting, waiting in an orderly fashion. You're absolutely right. It's just so sad. I'm also trying to figure out how I want to give. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers are with everyone in Japan. so hard to wrap my brain around, so tragic. We have donated money as well...every little bit helps

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right. Makes you wonder how things would be here in the same situation. Sadly I am afraid not nearly as good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!