March 10, 2011

Left Behind - Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - 03/10/11

It's Thursday, so it must be time for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. The prompt I chose this week?

Write a poem about that time you were left behind

Now, I Just Drive Myself

Once upon a time, in a town,oh so drab
Three co-workers needed an outing that was fab
Excitedly, I drove to Tracy's abode
And we climbed into her car that we rode

To a dive little bar, with music a-blaring
But after a few drinks, nobody was caring
Jello shots for us all!
We were having a ball

Enough liquid courage to sing karaoke
Bob Seeger's Night Moves, oh, we were so hokey
The liquor was flowing like water from a tap
The men were so plentiful, but probably had clap

I sat at the bar and played trivia games
While Tracy and what's-her-name were forgetting their names
I soon sat, morose, crying in my beer
My friends had forgotten that I was here!

Stranded, I was, and feeling bereft
Then Mindy showed up, and I told her they'd left
She offered a ride back to Tracy's, and my car
When we arrived, no Tracy - did she find another bar?

I drove my car home, got in bed, it was late
The next afternoon, those blonds remembered my fate
They called to check in, and I gave them both hell
For deserting poor June in a place not so swell

Many lessons were learned from that trip that one night -
1. Jello shots are conducive to friends taking flight
2. Don't depend on two blonds to remember my face
3. Drunken floozies will stumble right out of the place 



10 comments:

  1. Love it!

    And yes, all three of those take-aways deserve a prominent place on the "Life's Important Lessons" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious post (but I'm sorry you were left behind). I loved the rhyming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that's hilarious! Good thing you got a ride back to your car!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hysterical! Not so funny that you were left behind, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BWHAHAHAH and THAT is why I am always the DD..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha.. aww.. that's horrible that they left you.. but love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bow before you and the genius of this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun and funny read! Love the rhythm and rhyme of your piece. Not that I think what happened to you is funny, but this is a great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, now that was a funny poem, even though you got left behind. At least you can have a sense of humor about it.

    Cheers,
    Tracy http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!