March 20, 2011

Looking for (Good) Advice

Citizens Advice Bureau, Cornwallis Terrace - geograph.org.uk - 1580844
Maybe it's because I look worldly and wise, or maybe it's because I'm getting old - but on some occasions, I have been asked to give advice about various and sundry personal dilemmas.

At first, I feel honored and humbled to be asked for my opinion. And I try really hard to give sound counsel.


The result of my solitary contemplation (where I think big thoughts and deepen the wrinkles on my brow)?

My advice is either ignored in whole, and the person does what they were going to do anyway, or the action they take is 180 degrees from what I advised?

Did someone forget to tell me it was Opposite Day?

Anyway, I'd like to compile a handy list of good advice - so when the next person asks for my opinion, I can quickly accommodate their request without delay.


What's the BEST/WORST relationship advice you ever received?

When searching for a photo to put with this post, I found out that the UK has Citizen Advice Bureaus. You'd never find one of those in the US - we know it all, already! :)

Here's a dandy quote that I think sums up why I don't always follow advice:


I am glad that I paid so little attention to good advice; had I abided by it I might have been saved from some of my most valuable mistakes.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay


7 comments:

  1. Getting old is only in our mind.
    Age never prevented people from doing things:
    http://www.whatwasdone.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi June! Wow! A building to walk right in and get good advice?? You're right...that'd never happen here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My worst advice: "Oh Babe, calm down, you're not unhappy; we're just in a rut."
    CALM DOWN?!

    My advice to others: "Don't stay past time to go; only you will know when that is, but when the clock chimes, LEAVE."

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, I always follow your "writing" advice. And it is making me grow as a person. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could just imagine the lawsuits that would arise from a U.S. Advice Bureau! And my best relationship advice is "realize that you cannot change anybody."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention that I love that Edna St. Vincent Millay quote! It speaks volumes, doesn't it?! AND, I forgot to answer your advice question. Hmmm...let's see...I'd have to say I only remember one and it was the Worst Advice!! And from none other than my mother, concerning my first husband. Long story short: She told me I should go back to him, after I left him...I think the first time..when I knew in my heart that it was not what I should do. I actually listened to her...and went back. Remind me to tell you more about this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...after so many years of marriage I don't remember any advice, good or bad! LOL It's been a long time since I had to ask.

    My daughter is forever asking my advice about things, and I've learned to tell her the opposite of what I really think just so she'll do what I think she should. Crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!