March 05, 2011

Saturday Centus - 03/05/11 The Games People Play

Time again for Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus. The purpose of our exercise, as always, is to craft a story of no more than 100 words, using Jenny's prompt.

As usual, the prompt appears below, in bold text.

The Games People Play

The game had been going on for sixteen hours. The other players, depleted of cash, walked away from the table, and nodded off on a nearby sofa. Finally, only Gwendolyn and Charlie remained; the championship was at stake.

Charlie sat triumphantly at the head of the table, virtually ensured of his victory.

Gwendolyn took her turn. Everything depended on this single card. She nervously counted her stack of dwindling cash.

“Yes! I win! I have just enough to buy Boardwalk! You lose, Charlie!” she shouted triumphantly.

Charlie, disgusted, put his head in his hands and sighed.

An unexpected ending to their family's weekend Monopoly marathon.


Join in on the fun and link up with Jenny!

20 comments:

  1. What fun! Monoply...never saw that card coming, but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there before! Wonderful, I loved it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very clever and so GOOD !

    Monopoly is a game that makes me crazy so during this reading, I decided to be Gwendolyn and now, all is right in my universe !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I never win at Monopoly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, light hearted and fun. Great way to go June!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee hee! I enjoyed this even though 'our' Monopoly has different high stakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved this! and i love love love monopoly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You set this up perfectly! I was totally on board thinking it was a poker set up before you through in the monopoly twist. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit to hating that game! Loved your piece though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a clever use of the prompt. Brought back memories of many Monopoly marathons! Great slice of life story! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness...I so remember those Monopoly marathons...and the disappointment that I could never win. Now Scrabble, that's another story...I'd beat you everytime! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, do people actually play Monopoly until the game actually reaches an end? I have never done that in my life, not once...games of Monopoly, in my experience, tend to just kind of come to an unspoken-but-mutually-agreed-upon cessation. Usually when something good comes on the teevee. Nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really thought this was a poker game, and I love that it was Monopoly instead. It brings me back to cut-throat childhood games of Monopoly. I never could afford Boardwalk. Great centus, June.
    Also, I'm now follwoing you. Happy Sunday.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like every Monopoly game I've ever played ... except I'm usually Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is quite good June...like Robyn I first thought poker...Peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's nothing better than a great ending to an exciting Monopoly Game!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so clever and imaginative. I never thought of a Monopoly card!

    Namaste..........cj

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL! What a great twist! I remember playing Monopoly when I was a kid. It was always a marathon event, but always fun. Great job bringing up such fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. JFC. I love you. Don't bother changing the locks. I'm too old, fat and tired to bother stalking anybody...but...

    Your writing always touches me...

    ...with a smile, a thought, or a laugh when I need it.

    You're just something else, girl!

    Something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!