March 03, 2011

There Their They're at it Again!

Thanks to the genius that is Mama Kat, it is once again time for Writer's Workshop. The prompt I selected this week?

One pet peeve that shouldn't drive you crazy, but does.





Grammar Ain't Your Mother's Mother, Ya Know
One of my pet peeves is misspelled/misused words. And I know, I do it myself sometimes - I type pretty quickly, and don't always practice good proofreading skills. And spell checker won't catch words if they're actual words that just don't work in your sentence (I'd think they'd be smarter than that, ya know).


For example, if I read something that has there/their/they're used incorrectly, I find it hard to continue reading the article or post. And even the professionals make that mistake.

Go ahead, call me grammar/spelling Nazi.


And it's/its? I think a minor blood vessel erupts within my brain every time one of those mistakes appears before my eyes.


When your/you're is misused, my eyes roll back into my head (involuntarily), and I sigh heavily and worry about the future of mankind.


How 'bout to/too/two? AARRGGHH!


Just today, on a major news site, they used the word 'and' instead of 'an' - I know it was just a typo, but where's the quality control there?



Oh, and another thing, do you know how many times I've seen 'bare with me' instead of 'bear with me' recently? I mean, do they really want me to tear my clothes off, or just be patient with them?


Hire me! I'll edit, cheaply. Stop driving me batshit crazy.


And speaking of crazy, the anxiety over typing this entire post without errors is more than I can bear at this point...it's too much.


Don't even get me started on misplaced apostrophes...I'll need to be sedated.


Image source
Visit Mama Kat to get in on the fun!



16 comments:

  1. Are you my soul sister? I cannot stand to read facebook updates from grammar illiterate idiots! I wonder how those people ever graduated from high school!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACK!!! I am the same way! I'm the grammar and spelling nazi at work, they ask me to proof everything! How about goverNment? Most people forget that N in there.

    And I hate that my husband says things like "You don't want no more?" AAARRRGGHHHHH DO NOT teach my children to speak that way, PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hate reading stuff which are deliberately misspellings or hearing people speaking bad English..especially to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am exactly the same way! And I don't try to do it, my eyes just catch these errors automatically. One of the worst, to me, is businesses having errors on their signs, trucks, banners, etc. I will seriously take my business elsewhere.
    Visiting from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was funnier then any of the other post's I red so far. Way funnier.

    1) THEN and THAN kill me.
    2) The apostrophe problem? A national crisis.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes me crazy too. Must be quite a few of us crazies out there policing.
    My granddaughter, a college student wrote yesterday, "I seen the wedding dress I want." I should have written, "Great!" Instead I replied, "SAW!"
    My husband says chimley and it makes me shake my finger in his face and screech chim-chim-chim-chim-ney, which makes him laugh and sing "chim-chimeree". It's terrible when it's in your own family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. are in place of our, drives me insane! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen. I think the to/too/two thing is the one I hate the most. It's really simple to use them correctly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets stymied when reading blogs when there are major mistakes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I get an amen!!!


    Stopping by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would never ever get a reader if all "patroled" miy riting on my blog's,,,:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where would the world be without us? Probably happy and clueless. I was always in the spelling bee competitions and married a non-speller (who also writes in both caps and lower-case letters). I admit, however, I do still struggle with possessives ending in s -- Jones. Is it Jones's or Joneses or Jones'?

    Visiting from Mama Kats--thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so glad you posted this. Grammar is one of my biggest pet peeves, especially those you listed. Don't worry...they make shirts for people like us!

    http://www.cafepress.com/+grammar_nazi_tee,292944056

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bold post here. I would be sweating bullets that I made typo. So easy to do when you are proofing your own stuff on a computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! I hate hearing, "You did good!" Aack!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amen, Sista June! And what about when people say, "Me and my friend/wife/sister, etc..." Ooooh, that one really gets me! It's like scratching fingernails on a blackboard!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sometimes can be an offender to your pet peeve. But not as ridiculous as others. I definitely agree with the incorrect use of they're their and there... or to too and two. stopping by from Mama Kat's Workshop :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!