March 23, 2011

What Most Women Call Romance, I Call Stupid

Disclaimer: I am no expert on romance. Nor am I an authority on who is the yummiest hunk o' man meat in Hollywood - remember, I'm the gal who said he was dreamy.

That being said, if the movie I just saw is the best that Hollywood can do for romance, I'll never watch another modern romance again.

I just watched The Time Traveler's Wife. I had read some glowing reviews of the book (but have not read the book itself), and heard that it was very, very popular at the theater.


I knew the basic premise - romance between woman and time traveler, blah blah blah.

I didn't.like.the.movie.at.all.

Hey little girls, you should totally talk to a strange, NAKED man who visits you repeatedly. Who knows, one day you may marry him and have a child together!

I kept thinking that Chris Hansen of 'To Catch a Predator' would be showing up...like he does for all those unlucky pedophiles.

And what's so romantic about a guy who disappears without warning, and then just reappears, wanting to reconnect? If he wasn't a time traveler, wouldn't we be saying what an insensitive jerk he is? 


In PA, back in the 80s, some people went to Federal prison for 'fixing' lottery numbers. But somehow, it's A-OK that Henry cheated and they won enough to buy a house that is secluded enough for him to drop by unannounced, and unclothed.


Partway through the movie, we get a glimpse of Henry's death scene. During every subsequent 'disappearance', I was wondering if this would be his last. Then they let his time traveler daughter spill the beans about the time of his approximate death.

And shot by a deer hunter? For a second, I thought maybe the stag was a Patronus, like maybe they stumbled onto the set of Harry Potter. Now, THAT would have been a fun movie.


I just wasted two hours of my life that I can't get back - if only I were a time traveler, I'd have picked a better selection on Netflix.

6 comments:

  1. i agree, didn't have much of a line,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a movie to be avoided at all costs! I'm sorry about your lost 2 hours. Sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book and watched the movie...book was much better. Wouldnt call it a romance but was a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm, thanks for the review. I think I might not watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't speak for the movie but I loved the book! Audrey Niffenegger had a way of making it seem like a timeless love and it totally worked for me in the book. I could see that it might not hold up as a movie though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll try and remember not to watch that on cable when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!