April 05, 2011

May I Have a Word with You?

Can we talk? Don't worry, I'm not about to scold you.

I want to tell you about a last-minute writing challenge. The deadline is today (4/5) at midnight, Pacific time.

The witty folks at A Word With You Press have a writing contest that will allow you to display your best stuff - and maybe let you win a 'kuhl trophy or prize'.

Here are the gist of the rules (taken from the site):

WE wanna know how your story ends!


But you get to have the last word. Your final sentence has to be “And he/she/they would never have found out if it wasn’t for the______________________.”

Fill in that blank with a word or words.

Your story can be no longer than 350 words as determined by MS word count, excluding title. Your story can be funny, sad, mysterious, involve zombies or gratefully dead persons or live ones–just don’t do the conventional inside the parabola thinking of a crime or mystery murder. Surprise us all!


By entering this contest, you are giving us the right to publish your story on line and first time rights to printed publication, should this go into an anthology. If this contest results in creation of an anthology, there is no guarantee that your entry will included in publication.

You may have up to three entries, but each entry must be sent in an individual email attachment. Your chances of winning improve if you A) bribe the judges or overwhelm them with false flattery. B) really surprise us with the ending, C) include in your email entry to us the words “I pimped for A Word with You Press on facebook, twitter, and in dark alleys.”

Contest closes April 5 at midnight, California time. Send your entries to thorn@awordwithyoupress.com

Please check the contest link for the complete rules.
There are some awesome submissions there already. Get in on the fun!

And, if you're so inclined, you can see my story here.
Get your creative juices flowing and write!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you! This sounds like a great challenge for me. I love the 100 story, but I'm usually too wordy and need to condense.

    Can't wait to read yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are going to do it. Good luck. I hope they publish you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, i just had to check you out because I love the name of your blog! Not up for today's challenge, but will Follow you! Check me out at http://writeryogini.blogspot.com. Right now I'm doing this A to Z blog challenge that I am somewhat regretting!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Many a crumb has given me away too! I used to sneak M&Ms and the kids would ask where the chocolate was. I would say, "You must be smelling your scratch and sniff stickers." Then I'd shove in another handful as soon as the kids turned away.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!