April 02, 2011

Saturday Centus 04/02/11 The Road Trip

Saturday Centus is my favorite activity on an early weekend morning. Jenny Matlock deserves my gratitude - I get to write something quirky AND avoid domestic responsibilities at the same time - what could be better than that?

The prompt appears below, in bold text.


Some background on my today's submission:

The events described in my story are true. It was a truly moving experience...for Bill. I should know, I was the navigator. Don't judge us too harshly.


Walk Tall and Carry a Big Stick


Bill has been looking forward to this trip for months. He’s doing the driving; I’m in charge of navigation and the radio. I open the sunroof for some cool, fresh air and ponder what awaits us at our destination.

We pass farmers’ fields and ramshackle homesteads. In this part of Tennessee, couches take prominent spots on front porches, and rusted out shells of old cars are lawn ornaments.

Exit 181, ½ mile ahead. We’ve reached Redneck Mecca”, I report.

We pull into a parking lot and locate a space.

The Buford Pusser Home and Museum is open for business.


For more information on our destination, click here

And be sure to check out all of the great responses to today's prompt!

18 comments:

  1. Ha! Redneck Mecca...a place we can all visualize, especially those of us who have lived in places like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great place to visit..I'm not sure I would want to live there though? Are there martinis?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It strikes me as cosmically coincidental that I put on my overalls five minutes before I read your entry! (And a fine entry it is, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, clutch the pearls! Ah live in Jaw-ga, and Ah nevva hurd of such a playce. Ahm packin' the truck and headin' on ova theah in the mawnin. Anybody wanna biskit?

    Ewe hava good day now, Ya heah?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to really laugh at this! I have been there, but NOT BY CHOICE! In response to Hip Chick's comment, no martinis, but you will find some Thunderbird wine, and a jug of white lightening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must have missed that when I was in TN last time! I'll have to go check it out!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job ! I can attest to the reality of the Redneck Mecca...nowhere and nothing like those places !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah....still laughing here, I love Walking tal, this is a great road to travel for the prompt!..and carry a big stick too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Full of interesting stuff. I was intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  10. heehee

    I think I've been there!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A chuckle for sure, we have moonshine shacks somewhere around here too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this tiny, intriguing tale. tale...is redneck mecca what I think it is - something to do with rednecks and walmart??

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am visiting from Sue's blog. I had to visit someone with a name like June Freaking Cleaver! Love your blog! And I have never been to TN, or even heard of this place, but it looks.... great? Can't wait to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this one! I can see the couches and the gutted cars on the lawns. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could follow those directions when I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. loved the couches and lawn ornaments ... i knew we were in redneck country!

    ReplyDelete
  17. JFC! You are a gem! I love this little true story. Seriously, did you take a book along to read? Was it as bad as it sounds?

    Your stories are always so fresh. I love your writing voice.

    I'm curious...are you a good story-teller in person?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!