May 25, 2011

In Defense of Wrinkles

Remember wrinkles? No, I don't mean the creases caused by sitting in a pair of linen pants.

Face wrinkles.

Laugh lines.

Crow's feet.

If you're fortunate enough to walk on this planet for more than three decades, you'll more than likely get some wrinkles. Unfortunately, the cosmetics industry is trying their damnedest to tell us wrinkles are a bad thing.

Think Juve'derm XC, and their chipper "Bye bye" jingle. Their product promises to remove the 'parentheses' around your mouth.

Or Neutrogena's Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream, like if we don't hurry and use the stuff, we'll be doomed. Their slogan? "Why wait if you don't have to?" Rub the retinol SA and hyaluronic acid cream into your skin and restore your youthful appearance.

How about some Botox for the creases between your eyebrows or across your forehead? The wrinkles must be worse than the risk of injecting botulism toxin under your skin. Imagine, feeling a deep emotion, and your face never moves?

What's my beef against these products?

I don't think wrinkles are bad. Mine show that I've lived a life...

  1. Wrinkles have always been with us...but in this youth-crazed culture we live in, wrinkles make us look OLD - and we think that old people aren't cool. 
  2. My crow's feet show that I've smiled often. I've taken pleasure in the joy and accomplishments of my children, my friends and my family. These wrinkles show that I spent years sitting on softball field bleachers (sans benefit of sunscreen), watching my daughters play a game they loved.
  3. The vertical lines between my eyebrows? They show that I don't know everything, and feel it necessary to make the "WTH face" when things don't make sense to me. I also knit my eyebrows when I'm fully concentrating on a task...so I guess it could mean that I took important jobs seriously.
  4. My laugh lines? I have done my fair share of laughing, smiling, grinning. Even an occasional grimace has been on my face (like when I watched one of the stupid "Jackass" movies with granddaughter Desiree - I hate to see people getting hurt). These lines show happiness, and compassion for others.
  5. "GlamMas" frighten me. GlamMas are the grandmothers who want to look as young as their daughters. These youth-obsessed women don't want to be called Grandma or Nana; they don't want anyone to even begin to be able to guess their true age. They still shop in the Juniors department, and seem to have youthful clothing in their minds as a substitute for being young at heart. 
Disclaimer: I don't want to be called 'Granny'...ever. Too many memories of Beverly Hillbillies on that one.

I think Grandmas should stop competing with their daughters. They should be the person the grandchild can come to for a snuggle, storytime in the middle of the day, and the knowledge that the mess from Play-Doh or a batch of cookies on the kitchen floor is NOT the end of the world.


In one of my writing groups, a 71-year old member had her young granddaughter ask what SHE was going to be when she grew up...her granddaughter looked past her wrinkles and saw a Grandma whose attitude seemed too young to be a grownup!


I wish we Grandmas could all see that person in ourselves when looking in the mirror every day...though it might make you smile, and give you a wrinkle.


Update: Maybe the TwitterGods knew what I was typing...I just checked my email, and @Lifestyle Lift is now following me.
 

6 comments:

  1. What a great post, and something I needed to read.
    I admit that I am a little vain when it comes to aging; I've always looked younger than my real age and I'm not ready to give that up. But, I can't afford to be more than 'a little' vain, so nature will have her way with me eventually.
    I can't even imagine botox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I don't like is crepe-neck! otherwise, I think there is this odd dynamic that people aren't getting - you can make yourself look younger, but it doesn't necessarily make you look BETTER! It's like at a certain age, a little extra weight is actually nice - keeps you looking softer (and plumps out the neck crepe). If you lost that 5 or 10 pounds, you might look THINNER, but you wouldn't necessarily look BETTER! I'm tired of all these older people who look like cartoon charicatures of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not ashamed of my wrinkles. We all grow old, it's a fact of life. I will always act like a goofy mid 20 year old, but I won't look it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said!!! Who wants to look like they never had a thought, an experience or a laugh in their life? Not me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the GlamMa reference. Can't stand looking at Joan Rivers or Priscilla Presley, ick! Now, about that lifestyle lift, if they could tug everything that's gone south, north, I'd be happy. Doesn't have to be too taut, just back in the right spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s a fact of life that during the aging process, wrinkles appear and if you are looking to find the best wrinkle cream, look for the ingredients of the product and if a product does not disclose their ingredients then the other way to find the best wrinkle cream is by reading consumer wrinkle cream reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!