May 19, 2011

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - 05/19/11 Dial T for Telemarketer


The prompt I chose this week for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop? Write a poem about the last person you spoke to on the phone, based on the conversation you had.

I answered the telephone when it rang today,
on the other end? A woman from the NRA
Warning me that our 2nd Amendment rights are lost
No freedom to bear arms, lest we pay the cost
Of a monthly required donation, to ensure that they
Can send a gaggle of lobbyists to Congress TODAY!


The woman was persistent, I’ll give her that
But my money? No, I think I like my wallet fat
Risking anarchy, and taking our rights away
I refused her reasonable offer, and sent her on her way
To the next number in her list, that job just can’t be fun
She ticked me off and made me mad - how I wished I’d had a gun!

11 comments:

  1. Too cool. But your writing always is. Seriously, NRA call?! We got a Christmas ornament from them once. Bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a hard prompt I thought. You did well with it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was scared of even trying that prompt! You did great! Maybe since she was on the phone a foghorn would have worked better than a gun? LOL Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this...and of all telemarketers the NRA?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! A monthly donation for gun rights. What a terrible job to have to make these calls all day long. Loved the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!

    I only answer my land line when I'm feeling frisky, as only telemarketers use that number, and I hand the phone right to my Deaf kid.

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CUTE poem!!
    We have NO GUNS in New Zealand.
    Even the Police don't carry them
    We have a special Gun Squad that get called in if the situation is required. Only hunters and farmers can get gun licences and its VERY strict.
    So - we have hardly any shootings.
    A shooting makes the headline news because its so rare.
    Funny thing I feel like I have lots of rights.
    And can't understand why people think lots of guns is a good thing. Maybe thats cos its what were used to down here in our tiny island country.

    I watch that Mike Moore movie and my ears nearly fell out of my head. Was that well received in the States? Or he still pretty controversial???

    PS thanks for popping in on my lil Blog Downunder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! That last line is just classic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!