June 02, 2011

French Toast and Marmalade Dreams

It's Friday, so that means I am joining in on the fun at Writing in the Buff. Book Blurb Friday is our opportunity to create book jacket text (150 words maximum) - based on the picture below (provided this week by Kay Davies).

French Toast and Marmalade Dreams
by Juditha Elmsworth









Estelle Waiten, a sixty-something housewife from Topeka, Kansas, had dreamed for years about living in France.  Thanks to an unfortunate wheat thresher accident involving Estelle’s late husband, Jess, she now has the money and the time to make her dreams come true.

Read as Estelle finds herself, and becomes fluent in the French she learned back in high school. Laugh at her misadventures with the Metro and bidets. This typical American housewife is soon in her element from Paris to Versailles. You’ll be rooting for her every step of the way – and wishing that you were in on the adventure!

Back in Topeka, Estelle’s children, Ima and Ben, wonder when their mother will come to her senses and return to her life in the Midwest. Little do they know that Estelle has found love...and a life worth living, in The City of Lights.



15 comments:

  1. Perfect! Humor and romance, and a "coming of age" for a woman who is just "finding herself" at an age when she should already know where she is. I love the whole concept, and I want to know more about this woman who is brave enough to truly follow her dreams. I also like that you added the kids back in Topeka...it adds an additional layer to the story. Great blurb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, I would totally read that book. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. June,
    I'm laughing already just thinking about Estelle's misadventures with the bidets and the Metro (reminds me of the time I was in Paris...oh, but that is another story!) Great sense of humor! I would love curling up with this one!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. WONDERFUL title and definitely my sort of book (it's my age!!) and the children's concern adds bite to the romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oui-oui, wishful thinking. Great take on this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very reminiscent of the movie....Julia. With Julia Child. Well done. The title, is superb.

    5 rue Balard is my book blurb for the week.

    Have a great Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merveilleux! L'amour is not just for the young - I'd love to read this book:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Estelle was at the wheel of that wheat thresher! (ha)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I didn't know whether to laugh or root for Estelle, so I did both. Tongue in cheek or not, I want her to find l'amour! Still giggling at Sioux's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love your story! I have to say that her husband's death kind of reminds me of what happened to those poor people in "Fargo" in the dead of winter.

    My story is kind of similar in theme to yours, but yours is so much better.

    Have a great weekend!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful story. I love your title.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  12. You killed the husband off with a wheat thresher! (That would be a terrible way to go, so why am I laughing so hard? LOL!) And the kids-don't get me started about the names of the kids... Might there be a humorous novella in the future for you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wheat thresher accident? Brilliant stuff! Can't help but wonder if she had a part in that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm already rooting for a lady who is ready to take on a new life in her sixties. I can just picture the children shaking their heads, while she is having the time of her life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!