July 20, 2011

Echoes of 'We Are Fam-a-lee' Go Through My Head

Ever since I was a little girl, I've loved me some professional baseball.

I used to watch games on TV, and listened to games on the radio with my dad. As a kid, I even made up my own box score system and scored games while lying on my stomach on the living room carpet.

I'm a fan.

I am a lifelong Pittsburgh Pirates fan.

I'll wait while you snicker and feel sorry for me.

When The Boy and I lived in Pittsburgh,we loved attending games at PNC Park, a great 'lil gem of a stadium on the North Shore.

Isn't it pretty?


While we lived in the area from 2000 - 2004, the 38,000 seat park would be lucky to fill 5,000 or 6,000 seats at a game, unless it was Fireworks Night.


Even The Pierogi Races didn't entice fans to show up (more about that below).






In 2010, The Pirates won just 57 games, and suffered 105 losses. In short, they sucked...again. 

The Pirates were the butt of many jokes over the years. Good players didn't want to join the team, and if a Pirate player BECAME good, he was itching to be traded to a winning team with deep pockets.


Now I have news for you non-believers. After eighteen (yes, 18) losing seasons, The Pirates are in first place in the Central Division of the NL.


FIRST PLACE!

The Boy wants to know if this is the beginning of the Apocalypse. He's a drama king like that.

Unfortunately, now I live in St. Louis Cardinals territory. I've heard endless tales about Albert Pujols and some guy named Halladay (or is it Holiday?); I've seen more Cardinals red clothing and merchandise than is legally allowed, IMO.

Bite me, Cardinals.


The Pirates are WINNING.

And so are the Pierogies. See it here:


Forget your peanuts and your Cracker Jacks. Nothing says "Play ball!" like mashed potato-filled pasta pockets...right?

And yes, I realize that the rest of the Pirates' season could go to hell in a hand basket...I will still root for them whether they are at the top of the standings or down in the cellar.


Like I said. I'm a fan.
 


3 comments:

  1. Being a fan means you love them through good and bad. I have never seen the perogis (sp?) they are cute..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, you big ole fan you. Besides, baseball may be the only sport to watch this fall. What with all those millionaires needing more money and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for you! I think I'll drag out my boys' Pirates caps they had for little league and tell them to wear them proudly :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!