July 07, 2011

Now in a Far Better Place

My mother's eighty-seven years on this Earth ended today, July 7, 2011. She died at the nursing home quite suddenly this afternoon, although I can't say that her death was unexpected.

Her pain is now gone. She no longer has confusion about the memories and abilities that Alzheimer's has robbed her of. Since last November, her health had been deteriorating - although when The Boy and I visited in December, she was doing pretty well, all things considered.

To say that my four brothers and I had a complicated relationship with our mom would be a fair assessment of things. I feel sadder for my children than for myself. They lost a Grandma who was good to them (although her behavior was quite erratic when her mind first started to slip).

She and my dad are together again. My brothers and I are left to carry on.

I'm still waiting on the logistical details regarding the funeral.


Rest in peace, Mom.


My mom, when we visited in December 2010


9 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about your loss. Alzheimer's is such a sad disease. My thoughts are with you.

    BTW, I love The Boy's shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest sympathies on the loss of your Mom to you and your family. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sympathies on your loss. I'm glad you got to see her in December ... and, like you said, she is in a far better place. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry for your loss. Praying for gentle closure for you, your brothers and the grandchildren. I lost my dad to Alzheimer's about 5 years ago when he joined my mom. You are so right when you say "in a better place."

    Thanks for sharing.

    Noexcuses

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry! As you said, she IS in a better place now. Please let me know the funeral arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending love your way in this time of your loss... I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, I am sorry for your loss. Let the good memories carry you through these days; shed the bad memories. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!