August 12, 2011

Book Blurb Friday - 08/12/11

Lisa Ricard Claro of Writing in the Buff is once again hosting Book Blurb Friday (BBF). To get all the particulars on how to participate, click here.


Today's pictorial inspiration is courtesy of Sioux Roslawski.






Monday's Children
by Angelica Perry Natal





For 100 years, the state used Hedley Hall as a warehouse for wayward girls…and promptly forgot about them. When Chelsea Wilkins, a pretty fifteen-year old, arrived at the institution, she was struck by the haunted looks in the eyes of the other girls. Beyond the charming lobby, Chelsea found herself living a nightmare. She heard the girls screaming at night, heard weak crying.

“You’ll do fine here”, said Mrs. Luckinbill, headmistress of Hedley Hall, as she examined Chelsea’s features. “You’ll make pretty babies.”

As Chelsea lay in bed each night, a man entered her darkened room. She struggled against his advances, without success. Eventually pregnant, she’d see if Mrs. Luckinbill’s prediction was accurate.

For three months, Chelsea thought about how she and her unborn baby could escape. She had one chance.

Could Chelsea save herself and her baby? Would she finally reveal the secrets of Hedley Hall?


12 comments:

  1. Oh WHAT a clever, original idea - for a few years we lived round the corner from a home for unmarried mothers - wish I'd thought of this ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...this is intense!!! The secrets behind the walls. Yes indeed. In a way, we both had a similar concept...the hidden actions behind the balcony.

    ROYAL SECRETS

    ReplyDelete
  3. When your mind isn't creating wit and humor, you're forming twisted thoughts??? Good blurb, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've never even heard of an idea exactly like this one. Your story really fits with the picture too; I can just see those poor girls behind the walls. I would buy your book for sure.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fine combination of creepy and riveting. Who could put this one down before Chelsea escapes from that horror house?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary! You put your word together in such a smooth and readable way, I almost lost site of the total picture - the uncertainty and cruelty and, yes, some modicum of hope.

    Great post!

    Namaste..........cj

    ReplyDelete
  7. You surprised me! I saw the clever author name and expected to chortle. What you wrote was chilling, instead. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a dark concept - yet, that glimmer of hope keeps me wanting to know more. I'm a definite supporter of the underdog and Miss Chelsea certainly is that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow-this one is intense! Like Lisa, I was at first surprised it was yours, but oh what a story...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twisted....I'm really going to have to get in on these! Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool title. And yep, I'm with the rest--this is a chilling concept that I'm surprised no one's thought of till now. I shuddered when little Chelsea was sized up like a brood mare. Good one to read on a dark winter's night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd buy this one in a second and I wouldn't put it down until I'd read the last word.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!