August 19, 2011

Book Blurb Friday - 08/19/11

Please visit Lisa Ricard Claro at Writing in the Buff for all the inside info on how to participate in Book Blurb Friday! 


I was flattered and humbled that she wrote about a comment I had left on her blog. 


Thanks, Lisa! 


I gotta say, I had flashbacks when I saw today's photo (courtesy of Kathy Matthews). It seriously looks like our dead-end street when The Boy and I lived in New York.


I was reminded of bitter cold and parking lots with snowpiles that didn't melt until May. After my PTSD symptoms subsided, I wrote my blurb.


Hell was Colder Than I Imagined: A Memoir
by Trudy Detweiler





When Trudy Detweiler moved to Ithaca in June, she loved the Finger Lakes area of New York. Her life consisted of walking the trails and gorges, to browsing through quirky shops (new age and antiques) - she even found like-minded vegans when she dined at Moosewood Cafe. Along with her new friends, she attended cultural events and got immersed in volunteerism. Trudy finally felt like she had found a home she'd never leave.

Little did she know how right she was. 

Once the first snow fell in late September, it never stopped. Stranded in her rustic cabin near Fall Creek, Trudy discovered how isolated she was from civilization.

Marvel as Trudy develops the inner strength (and muscles as she shovels out her driveway six times a day); read how she gathers firewood and berries - and learns to hunt wild game - to survive her first long winter in New York.


13 comments:

  1. Oh man...we must all take up a collection for a snow blower for her....six times a day? I think it's kinda ironic that she finds a new 'snowyville' for home when my choice of subjects wants to LEAVE the snow behind. LOL

    My book blurb: Midnight Monarch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have friends in Boston who have told me non-fiction tales of still melting, or barely melting 100 inch snow piles in May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A typical snowstorm would be about18 to 24 inches, and if you waited too long to shovel, it was too wet and heavy to move. Then, when I'd get the driveway done (it was long enough for about four cars), the plow truck would come, and shove all that snow onto the end of the driveway. So I'd have to shovel that, too.

    Sometimes the guy who plowed for the landlord would plow my driveway - I loved that guy.

    With wind chills below zero, you couldn't stay out too long, even though I worked up a sweat while shoveling - I had numb hands and feet when I'd go in. I do NOT miss that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is an awesome story! I love all of it. I couldn't help but think of how right you are ... people come to La Pine in the summer (and it used to be that you bought at least one acre lots) and say, let's move here. Well, it was usually the husbands who said that, when they retired. So the couple would get a couple of acres, put in their septic and well and move in. Then the snow would hit, lasting for 4 months. Eventually, the husband's health would fail, and the wife would be stuck with all this work. Your story and mine go along the same way of thinking today, but with different ideas.

    Hope you have a very happy weekend!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good job. And reminds me of what I'm not looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I finally have enough poems to make a book, will you write a blurb for me? I love the detail and concrete images of this one.

    Namaste.........cj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, it sounds like a barbaric way to live!!! I can't imagine getting up an extra hour early in the morning, just to shovel my way out to go to work.

    A little snow, maybe, but that much - no thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a California girl, I have no idea if its hard to shovel snow or not. Looks really tedious. Great blurb.
    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great survival story...one I would read but not like to live!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't remember any western New York winters quite this awful, thank goodness. Woman against nature is sure to be a fun read. ~ Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, the woman sounds like she's related to Daniel Boone! What a great idea for this week's picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool is that? She really takes care of herself! I'd like to read about how she figures it all out---especially the hunting part.

    I was reminded of when I lived in New England (New Hampshire) as a kid. We didn't have a snow blower, and I remember going out every hour to clear the walk and driveway of snow; sometimes there would be as much as 2-3 inches in an hour (more than that when the Nor'easter of '77 hit. And now I sound like a grizzled old man. Hehehe...) So. Much. Freaking. Snow. I truly LOVE New England, but I don't think I could handle the winters now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I lived in the Finger Lakes area for 25 years, but having spent the previous 15 in northern Vermont, I thought the winters were mild. :D

    I'm sure I 'd enjoy reading this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!