September 29, 2011

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - A Pansy by Any Other Name Would Sound More Masculine

The prompt I chose this week:


What type of flowers would be in a bouquet that best describes you? (inspired by Persipacity and the article Talking the language of Flowers)



As is often the case, I must continue with my traditional rule-breaking. The flower I chose is not seen in bouquets. It is much too delicate to be yanked from the soil to satisfy silly sentimentality. Its stems are best left in the soil, where they can flourish, and act as horticultural eye candy, if you will.







I like pansies. They're displayed on my blog. They're my favorite flower in the flower box. I like the variations in color; I like that they have no scent.  


I don't need no stinkin' flowers.


The name pansy comes from the French pensee, for thought, as they resemble a face, deep in pensive thought.


I have thoughts. Really, I do. Sometimes they occur consecutively, and then I need a nap.


The Mister thinks that petunias are a suitable alternative.


He's wrong about that.


Pansies are also called 'the stepmother flower' - I'm a stepmother. The two smaller upper petals are poor stepdaughters. Although I'd like to channel my evil stepmother, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts.


I can't get no (dis)respect.


They've also been called 'heart's-ease', which indicates a cheerfulness of mind. Now I don't know if my mind would ever be described as cheerful, as I am prone to depression and sometimes drip with sarcasm - but I'd be willing to admit that I do try to find the humor in situations.


Pansies have been made into tea, and were used in love potions. Apparently, if you put the juice of a pansy on sleeping eyelids will make the person fall madly in love upon the next live creature that it sees.


Which explains what happened that day I napped in the concrete planter during the otter show at Sea World:


Polka, me and Sydney: Love these guys!


If you're inclined to send me flowers (and I can't see why you wouldn't want to), a potful of pansies would be positively perfect.


'Ppreciate it!

14 comments:

  1. Now that I've read about pansies, I think I kinda like them too.

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfectly pleasant!
    I was a little stunned to find out what my two flowers meant...stargazer lily and the poppy.
    Purity and prosperity for the stargazer and the promise of resurection after death for a poppy. Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how knowledgeable you are about pansies. What a lovely flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like pansies too because they are so pretty, but don't have much success with them. I settle for petunias (they are pretty too) and much easier to grow. I have a good success rate with them!

    Stopping by from writer's workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that was a hard prompt but you did a great job! I have to brush up on my botany...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popped in from Mama Kat's! We're prompt twinkles. I've always wanted to swim with dolphins--so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, why, I wonder is it such a put down to be called a pansie? From now on I will take it as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was in Girl Scouts our troop was known as the Purple Pansys. I have loved them and violets ever since. Visiting from Mamakat's

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never gave a second thought to pansies and now I will. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great advocate for the pansy! We got some last year -- in the fall -- and they lasted ALL WINTER and came back in the spring! I was impressed with their ability to survive -- another trait that you share with this flower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, I never realized that pansies didn't have a scent. I think they are an awesome flower too. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for linking up with this post about pansies! beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Jenners comment! I guess I need to stop calling my husband a Pansy when he won't kill spiders for me. I'll just stick to asshole from here on out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping over from Mama Kat's. To freaking funny. Love it! Kristen @ www.alittlesomethingforme.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!