September 21, 2011

Our Recent Cloudy Weather Offers Silver Linings

What a difference a day makes.


The Boy is in the hospital.


His juvenile officer delivered - he found him a bed, and the hospital arranged transport in the afternoon. No more detention center. 


I spoke to a member of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) during my crusade to help The Boy during his latest troubles. Crisis Intervention Training is available to police offices in my county NEXT WEEK. I'm not sure if any of our local men and women in blue have signed up yet (deadline today), but there's a chance.


Maybe The Boy's arrest happened for a bigger reason. He's now getting the help he needs, and maybe the police department will take advantage of the training so mentally ill citizens will not view police intervention as a threat.


I spoke to the charge nurse at the hospital last evening. The Boy is settling in well, and has been kind and considerate.


Later on, I got to talk to The Boy. He's so glad to be there - it's so much better than "that other place" (made me think of "location that must not be named"). He's going to try his best to behave. He said everyone is nice, but all the kids are nuts (said with much gusto).


Pot, who you callin' black?


He asked me to bring clothes and books. And he wants a Bible, which was his only reading material in detention. 


Lest you think he had a spiritual awakening in his cell, I should tell you that he wants to write a comedy about the life of Jesus, the man who didn't know he was the son of God. The man who was an atheist.


And his hallucinations have stopped - less stress at the hospital.


When I told The Boy that the juvenile officer was responsible for his admission to the hospital, he said, "Oh, I guess I should start talking to him with less hatred in my voice."

Can't you tell he's feeling better already?



The Boy's coming back...his snarky humor is showing.


I'll be attending The Boy's hearing today. We'll see how it goes. I think the charges will stand, if you define "arrest" as  forcible restraint; an exercise of the power to deprive a person of his or her liberty. If that's the case, then The Boy will have to face the charges.


The best possible outcome? Charges dropped. 


That outcome would make it a trifecta of silver linings today.

5 comments:

  1. Kim,
    It is a relief for me to hear that he is in a facility, so I can imagine how you feel. I hope all goes the way you hope today. Love the Bible bit. He may be on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that he is in the hospital. And I think that is humorous that he wants to write a comedy about Jesus. I mean, what if he made tons of money, and they make a broadway show out of it. Could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim--I am in a critique group with Linda, and she reminded me of what a terrific writer you are.

    My heart goes out to you. I hope the hearing went well. (John Prine does a song called "Jesus the Missing Years." I agree with Linda. That might be a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I like your attitude that there might be a "bigger reason" for all of this. Good luck with everything - sending more love waves your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to hear this. I was really really worried. I hope he gets stabilized and can come home soon.

    Hope you and the Mister are OK too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!