October 05, 2011

I'd Rather Poke My Eyes Out with a Stick Than Read Another Self-Published Book

I know that self-publishing is all the rage. 


But remember, just because something is popular, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's GOOD.


I've been greatly disappointed in what I've seen so far.


(Begin mini-rant)
Recently, I've read three self-published books - all of them have contained numerous typos, misspellings, and other errors that an editor (hopefully) would have caught. In addition to these obvious visual errors (some even appearing on the first page!), I've found plot inconsistencies and discrepancies in names/places/other plot points from one chapter to the next. In other words, I've found real problems in the story, with continuity issues and weak plot lines.


I could do another post altogether about the shoddy formatting of ebooks as well as the crappy binding jobs (and cover art) on the self-published paper books I've seen.


Because of the overall poor quality of the self-published books I've read, I'm going to stick to buying and reading books published by REAL publishing houses from now on - as opposed to the 'print on demand' or 'vanity press houses'. I'm not going to waste any more of my money or time, or drive myself nuts, trying to read stuff that hasn't been fully edited.


If you are set on self-publishing, please spend the money on a quality edit. You only have one chance to make a first impression.


Why risk your reputation as an author by putting your name on a book with all of those mistakes? 


If I ever decide to go the self-publishing route, rest assured that I'll pay for editing and proper binding and cover art before I ever put my name on a book for sale.
(end of mini-rant)


Hey, you don't have to take MY word for it:
http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2011/02/02/why-your-self-published-book-sucks-a-bag-of-dicks/

http://www.selfpublishingreview.com/blog/2011/09/06/ebook-authors-errors-and-the-dreaded-stigma-of-self-publishing/

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/just-because-you-can-doesnt-mean-you-should-without-some-help/Content?oid=1377119

From someone who has been there:

http://wahoocorner.blogspot.com/2011/06/9-rules-for-not-sucking-at-self.html

2 comments:

  1. I learned this the hard way too. Of course, when I get around to writing a book someday (don't hold your breath) I'll probably go the self-published route as I lack confidence a real publisher will want to publish it. But I promise to proofread it first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never write a book. and for sure, I would never self publish it. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!