October 26, 2011

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - 10/27/11 Things I've Done That I Can't Blame on Anyone Else

I've chosen two prompts this week. They appear below, in bold text: 


Last week we wrote about what we have never done...this week write a list of 22 things you HAVE done. (inspired by Sellabit Mom)



  1. I've played the flute on a radio broadcast.
  2. I changed my clothes outside on a dark, rainy night (because Pam K. threw up on me in the back seat of our car).
  3. I've had one or more of my children under my care for 35 years straight.
  4. I tried out for Jeopardy.
  5. I met Socks the cat (during the Clinton administration).
  6. I gave birth to two children without benefit of anesthesia (hey, it was the 70s)
  7. I was a Girl Scout for four years and ended up with ZERO badges.
  8. I was a Brownie leader (despite my renegade ways - see #7).
  9. In the past 22 years, I've lived in 9 states.
  10. I've driven across country with my daughters, and lived to tell about it.
  11. I have gone tent camping by myself.
  12. I singed off part of my bangs in my eagerness to build a campfire (see #11).
  13. The Boy and I appeared on a television program (ok, it was a local PBS program, but that still counts...doesn't it?)
  14. I stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, and sang 'Take it Easy' - much to the embarrassment of my daughters.
  15. I was walking in Memphis, Tennessee, and sang "Walking in Memphis", much to the embarrassment of my daughters (but try as I might, I was unable to walk ten feet off of Beale - maybe if I had worn blue suede shoes, it might have worked).
  16. I met Dan Rather at a high school newspaper convention.
  17. I've gone whale watching.
  18. I've volunteered at an orphanage in Mexico.
  19. I've done online dating (and met The Mister on an online dating site).
  20. I baked my own wedding cake.
  21. I've fed my grandfather.
  22. I've failed in my every attempt to master pie crust.
Describe something you did with your spouse when you dated, but that you're now "over". (Inspired by Scary Mommy)


Talk is Cheap
When The Mister and I met, he was living here in MO, and I was killing time in NY with The Boy. We used to talk on the phone, every night, for hours. Conversation came easily; there were no awkward pregnant pauses. We talked and talked and talked.


Now? Not so much. When The Mister is working out of town during the week, I usually call him on Tuesday evening. We run out of things to say within mere minutes. And he seems to have developed an overactive bladder since our marathon talk-a-thons - he wants to hang up because he has to pee.


Before, he could go hours without heeding nature's call. I think he just wants to get back to his wild night of TV viewing and internet surfing, and he's using the whole bladder thing as an excuse.


His daughters told me that he almost never talks on the phone, and were shocked when he'd spend so much time talking to me.


I think it was an act, just to lure me into his web.


And like the stupid fly, I got mesmerized by the webs tales that he spun.


When he's home, he plays Facebook games instead of talking to me. I'm in the living room, doing pretty much the same thing. I try to communicate with him, but I'm just too tired lazy to walk all the way to the man cave (it's at least eight steps), so I just yell, "Hey, Mister!" to get his attention.


If I'm lucky, he'll yell, "What?", thus ending our conversation.


Too bad I can't rig the land line phone to call him in the man cave, then it would be like it used to be, and we could while away our hours talking - until he has to pee.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Kim - love your list. Trying to envision you singing on the streets in Memphis and Winslow... okay got the mental image. Awesome! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband just texts me, literally! He's sent me texts from the bedroom saying "Wanna get frisky" no joke! I know he's a romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeopardy! And Dan Rather! And Memphis! Love!

    (I met my husband that way, too! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa .... you met Socks! I liked your list overall but the Socks thing really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your list -- don't think I could come up with one half as impressive.

    Maybe you should start writing notes to Mr. Mister? (The man who lives with you, not the band...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. I love the first one - about the bangs etc.
    I have (on more than one occasion) singed my hair trying to smoke. (My hair - as well as my lungs - thanks me for quitting.) I love the list.
    and ... your husband list would be like mine. He sits on the couch and I sit on the chair. And we each work on our laptops and grunt at each other.

    the good old days....
    Kristen
    www.alittlesomethingforme.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did it go...trying out for Jeopardy? I wouldn't make it past the first question :)

    I am a newspaper person ... love Dan Rather!!!!

    No badges? How does that happen? :)

    Visiting from Mama Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say as a man, and a married one at that, I feel your pain.

    But it's normal.

    My wife and I went through the same stage, and three books really helped us get out of the rutt:

    1. The 5 Love Languages (HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
    2. Love and Respect.
    3. Love Dare

    They're really good books that let you know 1) you're not alone, and 2) there's a way out.

    Love you blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sat on Santa Monica beach and sang Everclear....only embarrassed myself as a member of Blink 182 walked by me. Then I remembered it wasn't my fault Blink didn't write a song about California coastline.

    And it's not just marriage. LT and I spent every moment we were awake when we first got together either on the phone, Skype, or texting. Now, four months later, we've run out of things to say. I prattle on and he works in a few "uh-huh"'s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have done some awesome things. I'm rather jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!