October 26, 2011

My Not So Humble Opinion - Dumbest Halloween Idea Ever

While driving in the area last week, I saw a sign at a local church for 'Trunk or Treat'. I had never heard of that term before, and was curious. So I put on my Google Queen Search Crown and let my fingers do the walking.


From http://trunkortreat.homestead.com/Trunk or Treat is a Halloween event that is often church- or community-sponsored. People gather and park their cars in a large parking lot. They open their trunks, or the backs of their vehicles, and decorate them. Then they pass out candy from their trunks. The event provides a safe family environment for trick or treaters.


At first glance, it sounds like this could work. You drive your kids to a parking lot and let them move from vehicle to vehicle, which are decorated (primarily in non-scary/gory themes), gathering the sugary goodness that makes Halloween such fun.


Parents have happy kids and have the peace of mind that comes from keeping their children safe from bad influences.


Or do they?


Here's what I'm guessing that the folks who tamper with candy are thinking: "Okay, first let us disguise our vehicle. And let us get dressed in non-threatening costumes, to lure in the kiddies. Nobody will ever be able to identify us, and they'll never know where we live. It's perfect."


I'm sure that church members feel an extra sense of security in knowing all of the participants, and ensuring that the children are not exposed to evil graphic images and costumes.


We all know that creepy sickos never go to church, right?


Then why do they offer workshops like this?


Maybe the parents should consider this bit of Scripture first:


"Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep who are really vicious wolves." Matthew 7:15


After Halloween, pedophiles and kidnappers might get an uptick in potential victims, since the little ones now think it's perfectly normal to walk right up to decorated car trunks belonging to complete strangers.

I'm hoping that parents still have some common sense, and aren't lulled into complacency by these "family-friendly" environments. You're in charge, you decide what costume your children can wear.Take your children Trick or Treating yourself, in your neighborhood. Stay on streets where you are familiar with residents. And to be on the safe side, check any candy before you let your children eat it.


It's a scary world out there, and it only takes one cretin to ruin a childhood right of passage, and turn it into something sinister.


Here's a cool mausoleum at a Trunk or Treat - the vehicle isn't visible at all:


So much for the non-scary theme
This one is pretty awesome
Would you let YOUR kids trick or treat there?


5 comments:

  1. This is the one thing I love about my area of small town America. You literally KNOW everyone somehow. The loca churches here do that as well and the kids have a ball. But yeah danger is still out there..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did trunk or treat for two years at the international school my kids went to in Germany. It was hands down the best halloween ever.

    After a disastrous US door-to-door experience last year, my kids, 9 and 5, have ZERO interest in trick or treating this year.

    Instead we plan to make finger foods and watch a movie. And I filled goody bags with fun toys and treats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they do that at the churches here. I myself think it takes the fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago, we started making the trunk or treat at my mom's church our first stop on Halloween. It's a small town, and everyone is known, and we do it more as a chance for my mom to show her grandbaby off, and for me to catch up with some old high school peeps. (Not that I WANT to.)

    Personally, I think it's better than church's complaining about celebrating Satan's birthday, or making faux haunted houses miming suicides and abortions.

    Regardless, it's totally worth it to me to make the 40 mile trek to my hometown, than wander around HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ, singing my lungs out! OMG, I am so jealous.

    Great post. Wonderful to have a romantic Mister!

    Namaste...........cj

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!