November 28, 2011

I Met the Mother of All Mothers...and I Don't Mean That in a Good Way

There have only been a few times in my life when I've felt sorry for children I've known (other than my own).


The other night I met the queen of know-it-all mothers.


I wanted to smack the smug look off her face.


She has an infant son, one month old. He's her first child - and at twenty years of age, she knows everything there is to know about childcare.


"Everyone wants to hold him, he's going to get spoiled."
"He is just crying for attention - I'm going to let him cry."


She props up a bottle with a pillow - because she doesn't think he needs to be held so much.


She doesn't wash, let alone sterilize, bottles. She rinses the old one out and refills it with formula.


While I was there, she fed him until he spit up, then wondered why he was hungry an hour or so later. She didn't feed him again, even though he was putting his fist in his mouth and crying.


In lieu of burping him, she sort of bounced him on her leg while he cried.


She's twenty, and if my neighbor Marcia hadn't taken her in for this weekend, they'd be homeless. 


She had been staying with her boyfriend and his mom - the boyfriend who is one of two guys in the running for baby daddy. The maybe grandma couldn't stand having her in their home anymore. Mom lets the baby cry for hours (apparently, it's good for him).


Last night, when mom was holding him, she said, "Well, your infant days are over now." 


She's already thinking about feeding him solid food, because she thinks he takes too many bottles.


I bet she expects him to feed himself, too.


I'm not a violent person, nor have I ever wanted to kidnap a child - but I wanted to last night.


This girl's mother wants nothing to do with her - or her baby. 


She won't listen to anybody - she knows more than them, and is packing quite an attitude.


I had to come home to de-stress after my visit.


Baby Chase is a lovely little boy, I hope he turns out okay.

8 comments:

  1. That is terribly sad and depressing. Here comes the next generation, and with a start like that, it doesn't look good.

    I feel ya. I'd want to snatch that baby too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terribly sad and depressing. Here comes the next generation, and with a start like that, it doesn't look good.

    I feel ya. I'd want to snatch that baby too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually what she is doing is considered abuse and I am not too sure I wouldn't report her for it.. period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading this made me really sad. mostly because I think there are a lot of people out there like her. those poor, poor babies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a shame that SO MANY women/girls who shouldn't be having any children....ARE having them...and way too young and uncaring on top of it. I would've felt just like you. That poor child will not grow up with love unless he's being raised by a different, caring person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have anxiety now just from reading this. Seriously. That poor little baby. I would've wanted to snatch him, too. =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh God. I can't imagine how upsetting this must be. This poor baby is going to have a very tough life in front of him. I almost can't even think about this it is so upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a call to dial 1-800-child protective services!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!