December 31, 2011

Adios, 2011...Don't Let the Door Hit Your Butt on the Way Out

Creative Commons by Creativity103
Ahh, 2011, you're almost gone. Some people would say that you've worn out your welcome. I hate to admit it, but I've always been partial to even-numbered years, so I can't say that I'm not sorry to see you go.



“An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves.”

Bill Vaughn



I'll miss some of your fun...but am glad that I can put you behind me. We've had good times and bad; we welcomed baby Russ in June (here he is, ready to celebrate).






We also said goodbye to my mom in July. 


The Boy had lots of success in school, but had a rough stretch of behavior and legal problems in September.


The Mister worked for the entire year (yay!) - but will find himself among the unemployed at the end of February, 2012.


Can you imagine how optimistic we'd all be if we held hands in one big circle and danced around a New Year Pole (if there were such a thing) and thought like this:



Another fresh new year is here . . .
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!

This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest . . .
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!

I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!
William Arthur Ward



Back to you, 2011: Face it, your weather containment skills were non-existent as the world had tornadoes and floods and snow and ice and droughts and the accompanying wildfires.


Let's hope 2012 is calmer, weather-wise.


Dictators were overthrown, Osama bin Laden and Gaddafi were killed, governments are in turmoil worldwide, and common sense and cooperation have been absent in our own Congress. 


Civility has left the building. Let's try to get that back, 2012, okay?


2012, I know we haven't met yet, but I imagine we'll also have our ups and downs.


And since you're a Leap Year and all, we'll have 366 brand spankin' new opportunities for excellence!


I welcome you with hope and optimism.


Since I'm planning on writing more in the coming year (both in my personal writing, and in my freelance project), I thought I'd end with this quote:



We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.
 Edith Lovejoy Pierce

May you all find 2012 to be filled with love, joy and prosperity.

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year. I'm hoping that The Mister finds another job, and that things get better with The Boy.

    And that grandson of yours, soooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! Yes, 2011 hasn't been the brightest year, has it? I truly hope everything in 2012 is the best for you and all your family. And much success with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I think I like even-numbered years better too. I never really thought about that. And thanks for letting me know it was Leap Year! Did not know that!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!