December 27, 2011

Cautiously Optimistic - The Boy and the Absolute Magnificence

Christmas came early this year.


And the spirit is still here.


We're into Day 10 of the Absolute Magnificence.


The Boy has transformed himself.


He hasn't yelled at me, not once. He hasn't insulted The Mister, which has been his automatic response for over three years of interactions.


He does chores without much complaint.


When his time is up on the computer, he actually logs out.


He's been downright pleasant to live with.


I was worried that the hullabaloo surrounding Christmas might cause him to have a meltdown.


He's been calm and cooperative. Pleasant, even. 


Not.a.single.meltdown.among.the.wrapping.paper.and.tinsel.and.family.gathering.


Oh sure, he gobbled up the holiday trifle before Desiree could get some.


Baby steps, people. But it feels like giant steps in a game of 'Mother, May I' to me.


He had campaigned heavily among family members and asked for gift cards to ToysRUs.


He wanted this:






We were at ToysRUs Monday by 7am to snag the last Muppet WhatNot on the shelf.


Meet Jeff. 


Note: The Boy did NOT name his Muppet WhatNot after his cousin Jeff. I guess he just liked the name. I thought he looked like a Zeke. I guess I'll have to get my own WhatNot to use the name.


Yesterday, he spent a lot of time in his room, getting the hang of manipulating Jeff's mouth and moving his arm rod. Working on his voice and his schtick.


We bought him a Wii and the game that he has coveted for nearly a year - Epic Mickey.


"I got everything I ever wanted."


I was reminded of these lines from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory:


Willy Wonka: But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted. 
Charlie Bucket: What happened? 
Willy Wonka: He lived happily ever after. 


From Willy Wonka's mouth to God's ears.


Let the Absolute Magnificence continue.




5 comments:

  1. This is a Christmas miracle … I hope it lasts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful Christmas gift, way to end the year and a promising way to bring in the New Year. I hope the change hangs around for a very , very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice Christmas present for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the puppet & so glad that you had a good christmas. hope that he continues to have great progress. Has he ever seen Jeff Dunham? He is a ventriliquist (however that is spelled!). His jokes are sometimes a little dirty but my son loves him. I love the puppet & surprised I didn't have to buy one yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!