January 26, 2012

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - 01-26-12 Storm

Mama Kat inspired my poem this week with her prompt:


Write a poem about inspired by the word: Storm


White Matter



Snow swirling as the winds howled
Stranded vehicles littering the interstate
like Hot Wheels forgotten after play.
Roads thickened by ice,
driving on a wintry washboard;
A final Christmas celebration
in the house where I learned to tie my shoes.
Unshoveled sidewalk, icicles glistening in the sun - 
she wouldn’t remember that we came.
Two days later, awakened from her nap,
questions gushed forth, like water from burst water mains
as the frigid temperatures continued.
“Did you just get here?”
“Where do you live now?”
“Is Shannon married? Does she have any kids?”
After she held that great-grandchild on her lap
Brain shrinking, like melting snowpiles
Hopeful as blades of grass poke up 
White blanket diminishing, 
Lucidity makes a brief appearance
as we prepare to drive home.
The sun reappears;
memories drip like icicles on the eaves
Family stories written in invisible ink





8 comments:

  1. wow. What a powerful poem ... aging is hardest for those of us who watch our loved ones fade away.

    Thanks for sharing and stopping by Snapshots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this poem REALLY captures a moment and the storm image. The poetry prompts are the most challenging, I think! You hit a home run with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. So many storms and so much emotion. Beautiful. Stopping by from Mama Kat's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem even though it made me a little sad....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really well done. Comparing the Alzheimer's to the snow really worked well. You have a real talent for poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my heart, this? Is stunning.

    {Heart tugging, but definitely stunning}

    Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The invisible ink "got" me. My remaining Grannie is slipping more and more each day. She's all I have left of my Dad's family outside of himself. Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect summary of a Christmas gathering...well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!