June 21, 2012

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - 06/21/12 Dumb Luck: How Did I Miss Learning This?



The prompt I chose this week:


Share something you learned embarrassingly late in life.


Do you carry, wear, or do something for luck? Athletes often do it - they'll wear their lucky shirt, baseball players will kiss the crucifix they have on a chain around their neck when they come up to bat, or they may not shave while their team is on a winning streak.


Non-athletes may search the lawn for a four-leaf clover for good luck. Or they'll never leave home without a lucky coin in their pocket or wallet. Some people even carry a rabbit's foot to ensure good luck.


Imagine my surprise when I finally was told that a camel toe wasn't the Arabian desert version of a rabbit's foot.


Sure, I wondered how women would ever carry this:




Yet I heard time and time again about certain females having a camel toe. It seemed strange to me that this good luck charm was predominantly preferred by women who wore tight jeans, skimpy bikinis, or other form-fitting articles of clothing on their nether regions. Weird coincidence, that.


Then my mind went wild: What happened to the rest of the camel? Why would they mutilate the 'yacht of the desert' for decoration or luck? Seemed sort of wasteful to me. Then I imagined all those camels with prosthetic limbs. It was so, so sad.


I finally learned what those nasty people meant by the phrase "camel toe", ending fifty years of ignorance on my part.


If you were like me, and still don't know what a camel toe is, you can read the definition here. And if you're so inclined, you can see pictures here.


You can thank yell at me later for making you feel dirty for looking.


After you've scrubbed your retinas, check out Mama Kat's site for all the great submissions!




11 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! You are giving me a good middle of the night chuckle! I never thought I would read about camel toe on a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait you seriously didn't know what it was? That alone is hilarious... bwhahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-Larious! I can't even remember when I learned about the camel toe but I think it was explained to me right up front so I never thought it was a good luck charm. BwaHaHaHaaa! Thanks for the laugh! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO!!!! That is so funny...I also only learned what that was not too long ago...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now, I don't feel so bad for thinking at age 16, that a pregnant mom's belly just opened up for the baby to get out. (I'd overheard an aunt talking about a C-section and heard just enough to come up with that misconception.)

    Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! So glad I found your blog through the mama kat link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay . . . I'm still LOL! I have to admit I only learned about it a few years ago myself. Useless information that's important to know ;)

    (I'm a little late to Mama Kat's party)

    ReplyDelete
  8. smh Oh gosh, I'm dying, that's hysterical!! I couldn't post this topic cuz the things I've learned are tmi! hahaha Thanks for sharing...I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TOOOOOO Funny. My older kids have to explain things like that to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's bizarre is that I never thought about where that phrase came from until just now, but it makes sense. It does kind oflook like camels' feet, doesn't it?

    Stopped in from mama Kat's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to have it explained to me so you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!