August 03, 2012

Seven Days of Weekends, Or How Time is Irrelevant (and Slow)

Last Thursday marked the end of summer school and the end of The Mister's work assignment. The heyday of my wifely vacations is gone (oh, how I miss them!). The three of us are home, together ALL.THE.TIME.


It's a shock to my system. My day is no longer my own. It's noisier and messier and I am filled with regret that I didn't take advantage of each and every day that, from 7:15 am until 3:00 pm, belonged just to me. Sigh.


I am convinced that over the past week, the number of hours in a day has increased exponentially from 24 to some number with several commas. You know, like the National Debt clock.


The difference here at home is that the second hand barely moves, and the hour and minute hands are loath to rock around the clock.

If it weren't for therapy appointments, I'd have no time pressures (or frame of reference) at all. I click the clock in the desktop tray on my laptop to see what day of the week it is. Every single day seems like Saturday. Know I know how Bill Murray felt in Groundhog Day.


It's SSDD*, people. Rinse and repeat. I know how glamorous it sounds, and that you all wish you were me - I get that all the time. But really, when I have loads of unstructured time in addition to the constant demands and perpetual disapproval and disappointment of my loved ones, there's not a lot of sunshine in my life.


I seem to spend a lot of time rinsing dishes and loading the dishwasher now that we're all home. I think the silverware dives into the sink when I'm not looking...who knew that three people could use all of our spoons between lunch and dinner?


August has yet to be august, but I remain hopeful. Could that be the delusions talking?


Lucky for me, school starts again in twelve more days (but who's counting?); The Mister is job hunting and I am continuing to work on my goal of avoiding any and all domestic responsibilities, as I am often wont to do. 


I peruse the online job boards and apply for jobs that I won't hear a reply to, since I've been out of the job market for so long now. I daydream of having a reason to get dressed up like an actual grownup and coming home to a delicious well-balanced dinner and a clean house, thanks to the efforts of The Mister.


But until one of us gets a job offer, we'll be ingesting plenty of Ramen noodles (the favorite food of poor college students and unemployed folks). The Boy informed me that they're also the favorite food of prostitutes, as they are "fast, cheap and easy". It's good to know that I wouldn't lack for lunch companions if I ever decide to explore a new career in "customer satisfaction".





*SSDD, Same Shit Different Day

5 comments:

  1. It's such a pleasure to know that you never lose your sense of humor, no matter how bad it gets! Sorry to hear about the Mister's job ending. I know exactly what you mean about your days, no longer being "your" days! As much as I hate to admit it, I really do like some sort of structure in my day. Best of luck on the job hunt for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to coin some of the boy's comments and print them on stationery for the SSDD folks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel about job hunting. it is sucking big time. But I've been working on my resume with the help of my son in law and a lady at the umemployment office. She said because I'm older, just to put things like I have over 8 years of experience in such and such. That way, if they like your resume, they will have you come in for an interview and then see that you are older and wiser. Oh, and bullet point resumes are the in thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I come home every day to a quiet peaceful apartment.
    Things I miss
    "Honey I'm home"
    "Let me tell you what the kids did today"
    "Smells great, can't wait to sit down at the table"
    "So how was your day"
    "Here baby I'll take care of that. You relax"
    "This went wrong today, but don't worry I took care of it"
    It doesn't matter who uttered those words, I miss them.....

    Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that feeling … some weeks I feel like I'm literally living the same day over and over again. But then if something happens (usually something bad), I realize I didn't appreciate that boring sameness at the time. Here's to the start of school!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!