October 22, 2012

It's Fall Break at School...Pray for Me

The Boy is home this week. If I had a week off from school, I don't remember asking my parents what I should do, or asking them to feed me/take me to the store, etc.

Why didn't I ask? Because I was supposed to entertain myself - and if I was bored, there were plenty of household chores to do. 

It made a lot more sense to me to just keep my mouth closed and find something to occupy my time with. I had a vinyl record that helped me dream up things to do. It ran at 78 rpm (it was the same size as a 45 rpm single, but had a tiny hole in the center, like a 33 1/3 rpm album), and was an opaque green color. I think it may have originally belonged to my older brothers, but I always inherited all of their vinyl castoffs. The record was a bit scratched, so the audio wasn't very good when I played it on the stereo (you know, in the Dark Ages, before the invention of cable TV, computers, iPods/iPads, cassette tapes or even 8-tracks).

I found the song on Youtube (but don't remember ever watching the accompanying cartoon)...I just used my own imagination and filled in the blanks.

I so wanted to be like 'Little Johnny Everything'!



What kinds of adventures would YOU imagine on this rainy day?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan

1 comment:

  1. This is why being a reader is such a good thing. You are never bored!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!