October 25, 2012

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - 10/25/12 - Book Review

Mama Kat's prompt: Book Review time! Recommend a great book, perfect for these stormy fall days!

There's nothing like a mystery on a stormy night. Heaven's Keep by William Kent Krueger (the ninth book in the Cork O'Connor mystery series), was a great book to curl up with when you are inside, all warm and cozy.

I was a little hesitant to jump into a series nine books in, but I had no trouble keeping up.

Have you ever had a loved one leave the house after an argument - and you hadn't settled your disagreement? Did you have that nagging feeling of unspoken apologies and wanting to make amends?

Cork O'Connor, a part Native American, part Irish former sheriff who is now a burger and fry restaurant owner and sometimes private eye, has that feeling after his lawyer wife, Jo, leaves for a business trip without smoothing over a disagreement. 

When Cork gets word of a tragic plane crash in the mountains of Wyoming, Cork fears his wife is dead, along with the pilot and passengers on the flight. Was the crash a mechanical failure? Was it weather-related? Where is the plane and its occupants? Will Cork and his thirteen-year old son Stephen have to wait until the Spring thaw to find the wreckage?

Infidelity, visions, murder, land development deals, gambling, and all manner of mayhem await you in this book. Learn about life on an Indian reservation and soak up the Ojibwe culture. 

I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Buck Shirner. His voice set the mood perfectly, even when he changed his pitch and cadence for all of the characters in the story. He has a voice that reminds me of old Westerns, which goes really well with the setting and characters.

Click this link to access the audiobook version of the book. You can play a sample of the audio file.

The descriptions of the rugged terrain and the details about various Native American tribes in the book kept me interested - and I just had to know what happened on that fateful day that Cord missed his opportunity to say he was sorry.

My favorite line in the story? "The sky above them was the faded blue of thrift store jeans."
Courtesy of  cuatrok77, Creative Commons

I loved that description - and every day since I heard that line, I check out the sky to see if it is that exact color. The Mister hated the description and thinks I'm nuts when I point out the color in the sky.




Of course, The Mister is the guy who never wears jeans - and would prefer that I didn't wear them either. Guess he should have looked for a more obedient wife, poor man.



5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a real page-turner! There is nothing better than a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a mystery lover so I will have to check out this series. Visiting early from MamaKats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's a perfect rainy day for a book! This one sounds intriguing! I like the description of the sky, too and I love living in jeans! Stopping by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. And I think those are exactly the color of the sky as described!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!