October 27, 2012

Saturday Centus - 10/27/12 The Bigger They Are, the Harder They Fall

I've not participated in Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus in quite a while - and today seems like the time to jump back in!

Today's challenge: Using Jenny's photo (or a photo of your choice), write something of any genre - of no more than 100 words (not inlcluding the prompt, appearing below, in bold text).



I wrote a poem...and alas, I'm a few words OVER the limit. Sue me.

Nothing Rhymes with Orange


Five little pumpkins, sitting on a fence
Four almost hollow, one very dense
Barney, the beagle, wanting out the door
Slammed right into the fence – then there were four
Joe, the next door neighbor, climbed up a tree
Hurled a rock at a gourd – then there were three
Papa, seeing all the mess, kicked the pieces with his shoe
He slid – when he landed, the pumpkins numbered two
Mama saw the carnage and wept for what was gone
Her wails shook the oaken planks…alas, we’re left with one
Lonely pumpkin, whatever will you be?
Smashed to smithereens…
Or carved up, jack-o-lantern style - grinning at me?


10 comments:

  1. Another great one. I thought of doing this but yours is wonderful. I'm glad I didn't lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee-so cute. Just what will that last pumpkin be?
    FOllowing you.
    ~Naila Moon

    http://writing-out-of-the-blue.blogspot.com/2012/10/5-little-pumpkinsa-story-in-100-words.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you from Jefferson CO because I used to live there?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall forever be so very careful not to grin at the wrong time! Ha! HA! What a darling little song this could be! Or is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your poem...very very nice. Welcome to Saturday Centus.Great job. I am following you...hugs shakira

    http://justmeshakirack.blogspot.com/2012/10/friday-fictioneers-and-saturday-centus.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AWESOME! I see a Halloween-themed children's book in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughing here!

    What wonderfully fun writing.

    Loved this rhythm!

    Cute, cute imagery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!