December 11, 2012

Can You Spot a Faker?

My mind took a little trip today when trying to come up with ideas for a post. First, I thought about gratitude after I saw this on Facebook: 



Then, from gratitude, I thought about kindness and came across this Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Random-Acts-of-Kindness-Experiment/351547594918

Not much activity on the page - guess this kindness thing is over-rated.

And I checked out the accompanying RAKE (Random Acts of Kindness Experiment) blog, and found only a few entries - it must be hard to sustain an attitude of intentional kindness. And I bet it's tough thinking of original kind acts to perform once you've paid for someone's coffee in the drive-thru or held open doors for package-laden shoppers or baked cookies for your neighbors.

Also, touting your "random" acts of kindness makes them not so very random. These seem like efforts to intentionally behave kindly towards others. 

"Oops, while I was rooting through my purse in the parking lot, I slowed down and you got the parking space next to the door." Does it even count if it's a random act...and is it really kindness if it isn't intentional?

Then my mind turned all cynical, figuring that nobody could be kind and happy all the time; sweet and sappy will only last so long before your teeth rot from all that sugar.

Pollyanna doesn't live here anymore, people.

I thought of con artists - those folks who talk a good game while they're plotting to separate you from your money or other assets.

Am I able to tell when I'm getting conned? After 17 years with The Boy, I think not. I believe him every.single.time when he says he won't do (insert terrible act) again, and that he's genuinely sorry.

What can I say? I'm a patsy. Sucker. A mark waiting to be conned (at least as far as The Boy is concerned).

In an effort to improve my skills in spotting the folks who are conning me, I stopped at this BBC page and took a test about spotting fake or genuine smiles from short videos.

Does thinking about people faking their smiles make you more distrustful? It certainly raised my radar; I looked at each smiling face with a cynical eye.

I identified 14 out of 20 smiles correctly - how did you do? 

BTW, I updated my blog profile picture (after my annual haircut). Trust me, all smiles I have for YOU are genuine...you can count on it (smile).

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kim, this is my first blog stop today and a rather deep thinking one I must say! I'm not even going to the "fake smile" page...at least not until later tonight. You know I AM kind of a Pollyanna, right?? Have a great day, and my smile is genuine!
    PS. I did tell you I love your new profile pic, right? You look mahhhhvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The haircut looks fabulous, lady!! Woo hoo!

    And I'm not great at spotting fake people … I've been burned more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First - love the 'do! Second, you brought up a point my husband mentioned. We saw a commercial for an awards show that honors people for "paying it forward." My husband feels that if they are getting an award it takes away from the selflessness of the act. I don't know if I agree or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, I only got 10 right. I'm blaming it on it's almost my bedtime. yeah, lets stick with that.

    Love the new haircut.

    I'm going to put that test on my fb page. I hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may not be BEING all that good, but you are looking good with that haircut. Now I;m going back to take a test on fake smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm not a very good smiler, even if it's genuine, so you probably can't go by my smile... but that haircut of yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!