January 22, 2013

Excuses, Excuses - Why I Have Been Neglectful

I've been a bit of a slacker, blogwise. I really have few good excuses. I'm not writing the great American novel or curing cancer or even organizing my closets. In an attitude of shocking honesty, I'm going to blame my lack of posting on equal parts life getting in the way, laziness, Hulu/online TV viewing, the enticing pull of books to read, the easy availability of downloadable audiobooks, and the usual crap, knowing that it's all pretty much crap.

Life getting in the way

I've completed training as a parent mentor for MPACT, a Missouri group that empowers parents to advocate for their kids with special needs. I still have to get a date for official certification, then I'll be able to try to help other parents.

I've been job hunting. And as soon as I pass my drug test and background check, I will be doing a work-from-home technical writing gig for a couple of months. Yay me. It will be nice to be a breadwinner, even if it's for a short time. If I do well in this gig, there could be more work for me in the future. I can't say what company I'll be writing for, but it's in the Fortune 500 list.

The Boy had an IEP meeting last week. He is doing pretty well, both academically and behaviorally. He's working on transition-type skills to move him from school to the real world, and will have a mock interview at a local hospital this week. He's grown taller and thinner and is more a young man than a boy.

We still have regular visits from a behavior therapist and a social worker. They rock and The Boy seems to be in a good place right now, so he's able to take their suggestions in a positive way.

I'm still doing some writing for fun. I'm the president of our county writers' society (for some reason, we did NOT have a new election last month - I'm thinking it was a conspiracy); I'm also a member of our local poetry society. I voiced my writing goals aloud to the writing group, so now I have to deliver on them. I've stopped posting stuff I've written because most contests/submissions require that stories and poems be unpublished at the time of submission. If/when they get published and if/when I have publishing rights, I can add them here.

The Mister is still job searching, so he's home all day to create all manner of diversions. Actually, he's usually goofing off on his computer, so he isn't bugging me too much, and he doesn't complain when the Nap Monster attacks me with a vengeance.

Laziness

Damn you, Facebook...and NBC News/MSNBC online...and any of a zillion sites where I waste time.

Hulu/TV

Due to cable company distortions in price and levels of service, we did NOT get hooked up to 120 channels of brain-rotting viewing. But that hasn't stopped me from watching Downton Abbey, Nashville, Parenthood, Scandal, Undercover Boss, Bones and other assorted nonsense.

Ahh, books...


I've also been reading a bit. Current reads in progress are many; titles vary based on what room I'm in, or whether I'm in the car waiting (when I use my Kindle). Titles include:

Where the River Splits by Jeffrey Penn May. Jeff spoke at our writers' group meeting recently, and I purchased his book. I also spend a few minutes a day or so reading (and learning from) Jeff's book Finding Your Fiction: Concise Steps to Writing Successful Fiction.
Chicken Soup for the Soul - The Power of Positive. Linda O'Connell gave me a copy at a writer's workshop (one of her stories is in the book). 
With or Without You by Domenica Ruta (I snagged this one at Netgalley.com). If you're looking for a dysfunctional mother/daughter story that is both funny and disturbing, this is it.


Audiobooks (thank you library and Audible.com!)

I've been listening up a storm. I love audiobooks. I can multi-task! It's not uncommon for me to play Facebook games while listening (yes, I'm that talented). Recent listens include:

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani
The Pillars of the Earth and World without End by Ken Follett
Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen (recommended by Jenners)
The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
America Again by Stephen Colbert (highly recommended by The Boy)

The Usual Crap

I occasionally do housework. It's not done with much enthusiasm and quality control is often not part of the process. Just two days ago, the Christmas tree left the living room (and I assume the decorations will soon join the tree box in the shed). Baby steps, people. I do try to have the common areas cleaned up right before those pesky behavior therapist types arrive. Oh, how I love a deadline!

I've been doing about half the cooking lately. Hey, The Mister is home too - there's no reason he can't whip up a yummy dinner. We've tried several new recipes with varying degrees of success. I recommend that you try this Baked Teriyaki Chicken recipe, but be sure to double the amount of sauce you make, so you'll have some left for dipping or pouring over rice and veggies. This stuff rocks!

We're a little more than one week away from kissing January 2013 goodbye, and so far, the year has been kind to us.

What have YOU been doing?




3 comments:

  1. Wow! Busy lady, you are! I a new Downton addict! I just may have to try a few of your reading suggestions, too! Congrats on your MPACT certification! I know you will make a big difference in the lives you touch. Great post and nice to catch up on what's going on with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a lot going on … it is called a life!! : ) HAHA!

    I"m glad you've discovered the joy of audiobooks. They are now an integral part of my reading life. I hope you have a good library. Some seem to have huge collections and you can get so many good books.

    So glad to hear the Boy is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kim! I'm also reading "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake"! I saw it highly recommended.....somewhere....on a blog, I think! I like it, but haven't gotten very far yet. In fact I just renewed it at the library for the 2nd time! I started reading "For One More Day," by Mitch Albom and haven't been able to put it down. And here's the Big Thing about That: It's the second time I've read it. I can't recall another book I've read twice, unless it was something in my childhood! Your life is sounding busy and fun....Can't ask for much more, huh?? Thanks for the recipe idea, too. I just made two casseroles from brand new recipes...and they're both good...one is absolutely delicious, which is quite an accomplishment for me! :o I'll e-mail ya the recipes if you'd like. Wish you could make it to the SW mtg...any chance?? Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!