February 01, 2013

A New, Albeit Temporary, Reality

The Fedex guy (I'll call him Bob) restored my optimism Friday. Sure, he was three hours late - but he DID show up with a package.

I doubted that package would ever materialize at our door, that the promises made were illusory, and that I would eventually hear "April Fools!" a full two months early this year.

I must have tracked that package ten times since Thursday afternoon, cutting and pasting the tracking number in the magic Fedex input field that would determine my fate.

But apparently, my i's were dotted and my t's were crossed; pee filled the specimen cup. I jumped through the obligatory hoops, and I made nice. The masters of my destiny were suitably impressed.

I got a job. 

For the next three months, I will be a contributing member of society. I will once again be a taxpayer - oh, how I've missed bitching about payroll deductions! If I do this thing right, there is the possibility of further contract work with a client that is kind of a big deal.

Best of all? I am working from home. The much-awaited Fedex package contained a laptop and all of the pretty shiny things I need to log in and do my thing.

No rush hour. No dressing up. No waiting in line at the gas station.

I'll kiss goofing off on the internet goodbye during my work day; no more Facebook, no more Hulu.

Just think...no more daytime housework. Guess it's a good thing that The Mister is still job hunting (though he did have an interview the other day). Until he gets his next job, he'll be chief cook and bottle washer around here. I sure hope he does a better job than I've done.

I have PAID work to do, people.

And I'm equal parts eager and anxious about this new reality- it's been a long time since I've played at being a real tech writer.

Now I just have to figure out how to muzzle The Boy from 3pm until quitting time...or I better hurry and buy a speakerphone with a functional mute button for my first big meeting on Tuesday.


9 comments:

  1. Hooray, Kim! So happy you can find a way to pass the broom to the mister. Really, I am happy that you landed this gig. Hope it leads to something wonderfully satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! It's been so long since I've had a job I don't think I'd know what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I've never heard anyone so excited about paying taxes before :) but it all goes hand in hand with gainful employment, doesn't it. Wishing you so much good luck and continued payroll taxes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! It sounds fantastic and you sound so happy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim--"Congratulations," as she genuflected. (I am in awe; I could never be a tech writer, unless I was writing directions on how to eat a chocolate bar, and even then, I eat them too quickly to break it down into a step-by-step process.)

    I hope you can tap on that keyboard as you crack the whip in The Mister's direction. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, I'm sure you're going to do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yahoo!!!!!!!!! I'm thrilled for you and I hope it turns into a longer term gig!

    ReplyDelete
  8. O wow! Congratulations!! Are you going to lock yourself out of social network sites so that you're not tempted? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!