April 25, 2013

Night

Night
The darkening sky
the sun on a dimmer switch
as it transitions to twilight
Stars begin their twinkling and constellations come into view,
reminding me of planetariums and telescopes
teaching my children the wonders of the night sky.
Nightly baths and clean PJs, the scent of Johnson's Baby shampoo permeating the air.
Memories of my son's bedtime, when night held no charms for him
a reluctant surrender to sleep.
Of bedtime rituals and his insistence that he could never sleep alone.
Snuggled together in his single bed, we began:
"Night, sleep tight. Don't let the bedbugs bite.
No bedbugs, no bad guys, no monsters under the bed.
Just you and me - and sweet dreams."
How these words, his body cuddled next to mine
this nightly litany of comfort
eased him into drooping eyelids, relaxation -
and finally, sleep.
When his breathing was deep and his body still,
I'd kiss his cheek or forehead and ease out of his bed, careful not to step on the pile of books we had read,
each story a bit of distraction, conversations about Berenstein bears,
Amelia Bedelia
and Sam I Am.
I abandoned him to his dreams.

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop provided the inspiration: Write a blog post inspired by the word: Night



5 comments:

  1. Soothing, comforting...your words painted a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful a moment when they're just asleep...all is well with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you reminded me of the nights my girls and I used to snuggle up before bedtime reading Amelia Bedelia ... and Sesame Street ... and Is Your Mama a Llama?

    Sweet memories! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleeping children remind me to slow down. At least until morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They looked so angelic when they slept...all of their misdeeds forgotten - they were perfectly innocent.

      Then they woke up and burst my delusional little bubble.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!