May 18, 2013

Diabetes, Type 2: Now What?

The Mister was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. He has a prescription for Metformin, but not much else.

Now what? 

He learned nothing about testing his blood sugar, and only received a brief summary of dietary instructions.

His follow-up appointment is June 12...although now that I read his paperwork, it said to make an appointment for three to five days hence. The Mister is a bad, bad boy.

Diabetes is life-changing; I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity for all of us to make healthier food choices and as a motivator to spur us to lose weight and become more active (at least that's what I'm telling The Mister). Rah, rah, rah.

I'm overwhelming my brain cells with what I see on the Web.

I imagine that we'll have to go on a search and destroy mission on the food we currently have in the house...and we'll begin an adventure in cooking low-carb, high-protein food and including fruits and vegetables and whole grains in our daily intake of nutrients.

He said he'd cry if he started thinking about the pasta and snack foods he can no longer eat, to say nothing of his love affair with Panko and Chinese buffet food.

What will happen to my baking hobby? Is it happy trails to dessert?

The thought of dealing with counting carbs and learning about dietary exchanges makes me think that comfort food will become a thing of the past - and will be replaced by complex carbohydrates and calculations.

I'll have to have secret rendezvous with chocolate...and feel like I'm being unfaithful.

If you've had to re-vamp your diet/cooking due to a health concern, how did you get started?

How long does it take to adjust to the change? How long does it take to see measurable improvement in overall health?

Bye bye, buttercream. Sayonara sugar. See ya, spaghetti. It's been real, it's been nice. It just hasn't been real nice.

9 comments:

  1. My husband's doctor told him, if it swims or flies, he can eat it. If it tastes good, don't eat it.

    In the long run, you may have a long run. I personally could never give up dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is diabetic chocolate that he can have once in a while. Make him some smoothies. They have become my dinner most nights. Yes I'm diabetic, but type 1. It will be overwhelming at first, but once you get used to it, it will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry this happened. I learned a lot when the King got sick. You will be amazed where the journey takes you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kim. I'm sorry.

    This is really an overwhelming change in everything for all of you!

    There is so much good info on the web but it can get totally overwhelming!

    I think I read somewhere that something becomes a habit after 21 days. I hope that proves to be true for you all.

    I have a friend with both a husband and a son with diabetes and she swears by the diabetes web site.

    Good luck!

    Sending you a hug and a prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I strongly recommend you read the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. There is a lot of information in the book about diabetes diet and control. Even if you opt out of his suggestions you'll not be sorry you read the book. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a MAJOR bummer. If I don't make some changes soon, I'll be right there with you. It's not easy to make that big a change, but I hope you find some good recipes that makes the journey less painful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a MAJOR bummer. If I don't make some changes soon, I'll be right there with you. It's not easy to make that big a change, but I hope you find some good recipes that makes the journey less painful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it is going to be a difficult adjustment but I'm sure he (and you) can do it. The key is getting all the family to be supportive and not undermine what he needs to do. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and had to follow a certain diet. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it can be difficult to go "cold turkey" on a lot of the stuff. Good luck to The Mister .. and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim--I know I meant to comment, tried to think of something intelligent AND relevant, but then fell by the wayside.

    Diabetes should be a piece of cake for you. You are raising your son with grace and patience and humor...I know you can help your husband navigate these new waters...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!