May 09, 2013

Four Years Ago Today...

I was lonesome. I had too much free time on my hands...and was looking for yet another way to avoid doing housework.

Then came my alter ego, June Freaking Cleaver.

I started this blog, and began this journey.

I just sign my blog with Kim now (but not "just Kim" - I am Kim).

I've done 900+ posts, some of them don't suck nearly as much as others...a perfect metaphor for men I've dated in the past.

Thank God I no longer have to do that dating thing.

What's changed in The Ratio of Failures since 2009?

I think I bitch less on my blog now. Life isn't sucky. I'm not deliriously happy, but I'm generally more satisfied and content. The Boy isn't on my mind (and in these posts) as often; he is doing pretty well - and he doesn't want me to post about him unless he approves the post before I click Publish.

Our adult children are healthy and taking care of themselves, as they should. The grandchildren are growing up much too quickly, but that is out of my control. All I can do is spoil them when I can (and hug them when they'll permit it).

I think the biggest change over these past four years has to do with my writing activities. I attend writers' group meetings. I submit stories and sometimes get published. These activities were never in my wildest dreams when I started this blog.

I discovered that writing for pleasure is pleasurable...it makes me happy.

And the most mind-blowing thing is being selected to read at Listen To Your Mother St. Louis. Me? Public speaking? On Saturday, I'll walk up on that stage and tell my story. And no matter how scared I am, or how much my knees shake, I will endure. I will gain confidence from the support of my fellow cast members and from the expressions of support and understanding I see in the audience.

These accomplishments never would have happened if not for this blog...and the support I've received from other blogger/writer friends. My confidence in my writing ability was always a given (in a tech writing kind of way) - but the acceptance and loving comments from my readers has made me realize that I can do even more. 

I can be am a published author.
I can risk failure and embarrassment...and survive the experience.
I can offer support to other writers/bloggers, whether I've met them IRL or not. I have been amazed by the personal connections I've made through blogging.

I found my voice here. The birth of my "can-do" attitude took place right here.

Thank you all for reading, and especially for your kind comments. Thank you for telling me about further writing opportunities - even the scary ones.

Even though I may sit at my desk, alone, disheveled and swilling Coke Zero, you have been here with me. But I don't feel lonesome anymore.

I have no plans to stop now...we're getting to the good part of the story. I hope you'll read along with me.

9 comments:

  1. Your writing is like the lure on a fishing pole. You know how to reel readers in and hook them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! You inspire ME to do more!

      Delete
  2. Kim--I LOVE the line "We're getting to the good part of the story." I agree. Women get to an age where they're more confident, they accept themselves for who they are, and they find more contentment. I hope you're there. I am. (It's also a stage where we don't give a flying fig about some things.)

    (I'm sure you already know this, but I'll tell you anyway) No matter how nervous you feel, we won't be able to tell.

    Unless, of course, your knees knock together so much, they start a fire. You don't think that would happen, do you? ('Cause that would make a VERY exciting climax for your piece. ;)

    See you on Saturday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I don't wear the phosphorus pants, I think I'll remain inflammable...though the next hot flash might get cause spontaneous combustion!

      We've got the 'Popeye' attitude - I yam what I yam!...and I am loving that.

      Thank you for your witty (and kind) comments - see you Saturday!

      Delete
  3. I've been a follower for a long time, and have watched you morph into this incredibly confident and prolific woman (and writer). You inspire me to become better. You inspire me to put myself out there more with no regard to the outcome. Thank you, and God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support and kind comments. We ARE getting better...

      See you Saturday!

      Delete
  4. I love to read your work.. Though I have been a sucky blogging friend here recently with an arrival of a grandbaby we have alot of the time I am getting back into it. I am so proud of you for taking the leap for LTYM and know you are going to rock it momma..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the baby - I saw the pics, what a cutie!

      Thanks for being there for me!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it interesting to look back and see how life has progressed since you started blogging? I love how it is a record of your life and accomplishments. I think this definitely helped you find your voice as a writer and I know you'll continue to do amazing things in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!