April 30, 2014

I Wish Someone (Had) Told Me...

Here's what I wish someone had told me:
  • the one time I wore my shirt INSIDE OUT - all day long when I was running errands. I'm half afraid to check out The People of Wal-Mart site, sure that another shopper took a picture of the seams and laundry care instructions tag as I pushed my cart through the store.
Note: This was NOT a t-shirt. It was a shirt with buttons that I take off without unbuttoning (and slipped over my head that day without noticing that the buttons were on the wrong side). I really need to remember to look in the mirror before I leave the house.
  • that by turning 57, I'd awake to find my body starting to break down. If so, I'd have insisted I was still 56. Over the past nine days now, I've had hand/wrist pain, foot pain, hip pain, knee pain, and I'm exhausted all the time. For the record, I don't recommend turning 57 years of age.
  • that liking a "take charge" attitude in others often has me concluding that these same people are not assertive - they're merely bossy - an attitude I do not find as charming.
  • to work on the whole consistency thing in childrearing. Wait, that's not what I meant. I mean to say that I wish I had listened when people (yes, more than one) told me to use consistency in childrearing. Just imagine the arguments and misunderstandings I could have avoided.
  • to cut myself some slack back when I was younger. It took me a long time to realize that I am not half-bad, and may even be a little bit of all right...and it was silly to compare myself to others and find myself lacking.
  • I should have started writing and submitting stories years ago...even now, I don't write or submit as much as I could.
  • what the latest Powerball numbers were - before the drawing. I could have used the cash.
  • that things usually work out as they should, even though it's not how I anticipated. I could have saved myself decades of angst (and therapy co-pays).
  • to cherish the moments with loved ones; that babies aren't babies all that long, and that I shouldn't have wished them into the next milestone - and just enjoyed them, no matter what stage they're in.
Who am I kidding? I wouldn't have listened to any of this advice - except for the shirt. I'd have turned it right side out in a New York minute.

I'm going to assume that none of you like someone telling you what to do either. Despite that assumption, I'd like you to consider what I'm telling you:
  • that happiness is a choice, that an unreturned kindness is never wasted, and that joy can be found in simple things - the sound of children's laughter, or watching the play of sunlight as it passes through the clouds, or by watching birds swoop and glide through the sky
Now get out there and be happy!

You have Mama Kat to thank for the inspiration for these words of wisdom. Check out the other responses to her writing prompts every Thursday.

But only if you truly want to - no pressure.


6 comments:

  1. Kim--This is a thought-provoking post, without any snark. You must be in a serious or thoughtful mood.

    I hope you're having a good week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this for me - it's filled with reminders that I still need to hear from time to time. I'm going to think of it as a booster shot of positive thoughts.

      And I like to write something thoughtful from time to time, if only to confuse readers...lol

      Thank you for your kind comments. And my week is going okay, other than the unrelenting pain I've been experiencing.

      Delete
  2. HA! Thanks for telling us! That was thoughtful of you!
    Cinella @ The Mami Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! And if you care to share the Powerball numbers, I would be very grateful.

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As every joint aches on a different day and our eyesight starts to fail, suddenly we see things clearly! If only I had... Yeah, I've been doing that a lot lately. I'm coming up on a milestone birthday next month. I am no longer a drama mama and I prefer to seek peace. Uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading these prompt responses because in addition to speaking to your past self, you're also speaking to people who might be going through some of these things now. I may or may not take some of this advice myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!