August 02, 2014

Pomp and Circumstance - The Boy Addresses the Assembled Masses

Let's do some catching up, shall we?

The Boy is done with high school!


He isn't turning his tassel, he's ripping it off the mortarboard. D'oh.
Three young men completed their high school journey in June. The Boy was selected (or offered) to give the Senior speech to the roomful of staff,  school chums, friends and family who assembled to watch the ceremony.

He worked with one of his teachers on his speech. Though he had his typed copy in front of him, his actual speech was one part script, one part ad lib. He is funnier in real life.

Here's what his papers said he would say:

Thank you for coming today to help us celebrate the promotion of our 8th grade class to high school and the graduation of the senior class. It means a lot to have all of you here supporting us.

I wanted to thank all of you for helping me over the years. I know I must not have been the most pleasing person you could have dealt with all the time. Especially when I got upset.

My first thank you is, of course, to my family (ask them to rise). They helped me to see life, love and joy. They gave encouragement and support in my hard times, and love no matter what.

My next thank you is to the teachers (gesture to teachers). They helped all of us to mature and grow in ways we'd not expected - especially our minds. They showed us that even in school, you can have fun. My apologies to Ms. Pilant (she's the director) for mentioning "fun" in this speech.

Now, the best part of the speech. I wish to thank all of my friends. Many of you were my first friends in this state, and in school in general. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. One day I'll come back for your graduation (at this point, he sarcastically added, "Naw, not really.")

To my fellow graduates (graduate 1 and graduate 2): Our futures are closer than we think.

(Gesturing to the rest of the students): It is for all of you as well. My plans mostly consist of college and plenty of hard work. I have been working on things as we speak in order to prepare.

But now, I leave you with a little thought. It is from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory:


Do you know what happened to the man who got everything he ever wanted?


He lived happily ever after.

At Hitchcock, we have gotten everything we've ever wanted. And we thank you for it.

2 comments:

  1. Kim--Congratulations, and please extend my congratulations to your son. It's obvious from the pictures it was a great day for him. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    I hope that you keep writing about your son--along with other topics--as he begins the next phase of his life. He's going to do great things...I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sioux!

      Oh, there will be more on Monday...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!