September 25, 2014

Making Life Work - A Capital Idea

Looking for a job IS a job.

Finding a job IS exciting.

The job I've been offered means upheaval on a grand scale. It offers opportunities for all of us; it also means sacrifices.

It looks like it's my turn to work out of town. I'll be moving to our state capital.

By myself.

I'll be leaving The Mister and The Boy to fend for themselves.

I can't say I'm excited, yet. Worried, yes. Nervous? Definitely.

My start date? October 6.

The plan is to hole up in a motel for a week or so, and look for a small apartment. I'd love something furnished, so I can bring along the household necessities and move right in.

The job is 2.5 hours from home, so it won't be a big deal to come home on weekends.

I have two some big fears: 

What if The Mister and The Boy don't get along? All sorts of bad things could result.

What if I like living alone so much that I won't look forward to coming home?

I will miss the kids and grandkids. 

The initial contract is for four months - if I wow them, the contract will be extended. I figure we can make it work for this initial time frame. We'll have to figure out what to do about the holidays. 

If my contract is extended, there are more challenges. With a new grandbaby arriving in April, I will miss so much!

The Mister and The Boy may come to visit during school breaks. I guess we'll see who the real slob is...it won't be me.

I have TEN DAYS before I make the leap of faith.

I'm open to suggestions and tips on how to make this adventure work. What say you?


3 comments:

  1. I think anything can work so long as you communicate what is expected (or not) with everyone involved. Sometimes you don't know all the things, but whatever you do know... and a back up plan is not a bad plan either, I don't think. But then again, you can always take it as it comes. Good luck. I'm sure it all will work out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim--It sounds like a great opportunity. And my advice? Move to Jeff City permanently, and don't give The Mister and The Boy your address. Disappear into the mean streets of our fine state capital and never return.

    Oh, perhaps this is not the best advice. I agree with Lynn. Communicate. Look towards the first hurdle before you worry about the next one. I imagine the two guys will find a way to harmoniously exist in the same house without you...And if they don't, you either 1) don't have to worry about paying for a divorce or 2) you don't have to worry about college fees...depending on which one survives. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim! Dennis Bentley from Eat and Critique recommended your blog to us, so I came right over! This post jumped out at me because my husband commuted weekly for about a year and a half. The only thing I have to add to what's already been said is to realize that your hubs and the boy might create their own routines/rituals in your absence, and so it may be a little difficult when you return on the weekends and expect things to be as they were. I wish you luck on your new adventure though! Personally, I can identify with your fear of possibly enjoying your "alone time" a bit too much.

    All that said, I originally stopped by to invite you over to check out Missouri Women Bloggers. We are a new community for Bloggers in MO and are recruiting new members (including Dennis). I hope you'll come check out our website at http://missouriwomenbloggers.com and decide to become a member!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!