April 02, 2015

Seen But Not Heard

Today's inspiration comes courtesy of Mama Kat and her Pretty Much World Famous Writer's Workshop. And April is National Poetry Month, so I thought I could kill two birds with one stone.

Write a blog post that ends with the line: No one ever asked me.



Seen But Not Heard


She knew the answers to the big questions, in her chubby, dimpled hands, the keys to the kingdom.
Yet she stayed silent, the unspoken words heavy on her heart
Childhood lesson learned.
Opinions unstated, desires unfulfilled
Invisible to the world, yet seeing everything.
Holding it in, choking down the hurt and disappointment
Leaving her bereft and hopeless.
She stood against the wall, shoulders slumped in defeat
Why did she waste all those years, voiceless?
Inside, brilliance swirled and she waited for her moment to shine.
Pick me! Pick me!, her brain screamed.
When will I matter?
She with nearly infinite patience, observant and mute.
"Ma'am, what do you think?", a man in front of her asked, his microphone thrust at her chin.
"Who, me?", she whispered, cognizant that her presence was acknowledged at last.
"Well," she started...
And the floodgates opened, her voice raspy from disuse.
Wisdom and truth flowing from between her thin lips.
Awed, the crowd surged forward, wanting to get a glimpse at the extraordinary being.
"Ma'am, why have you kept us in the dark? Why have you not spoken up?"
"Because, until now, no one ever asked me."


6 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, Kim! There are so many people who hold back their thoughts, not allowing them to come out because they believe THEY don't matter. When the day comes that someone values their input, the damn is broken. Well thought out and written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, Kim. Well written and well thought out. There are so many people who have so much to say and are never given that opportunity...or are afraid to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well written poem that makes me curious! Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! How many wise things are just waiting to be shared with someone who takes the time to ask?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you how many times I've been angry at myself for not participating in a conversation purely because I felt too nervous to speak up. I always wished I could be a little more like the outspoken who demand to be heard. We shouldn't feel like we need to wait to be asked...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim--I imagine there are many people like that--people who don't contribute because they never were asked or never felt welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!